Monday, March 23, 2015

2 Years of Speech

 SJ said her first word just barely over two years ago, when she was three years old. She said "up" and pointed to go upstairs. I freaked out. Just a little bit.

From then on I started documenting everything. Okay, maybe not every word she said, but I have notes on my phone that I use to keep track. The name of the list on my phone from that time was "Words SJ Said Without Prompting"

What that means is that she said them spontaneously without anyone coaxing her and cuing her to say a specific word. She was able to parrot a lot of words, but she didn't necessarily know them. Things really took off in the fall of that year.



The next year, in 2014 she started putting words together



This time last year she said "Mom. I hear phone!" and it was a huge breakthrough.



The words just kept rolling in and she was beginning to really communicate her needs.



Over the summer she was saying sentences and I started a new list called to "Sentences SJ Said"




or "Stuff SJ said at Christmas time"



So she progressed from sounds, to words, to spontaneous language, to multiple words, then sentences and lastly conversations.



That is where we are now. Good grief, I am crying just typing this out. Sometimes it feels like we aren't getting anywhere, but as I look back I can see how far she's come.

I used to get really excited when I noticed her say a new word. Now she has so many words I can't keep track. Instead I find it cute when she doesn't know a word and I get to teach her one. Like recently when she asked the word for feather or honey. Or yesterday when she called the refrigerator a closet.

It's so hard to get video of anything. She'll be chatting up a storm, but the times I actually sit down to record something she is a vault. I do have some snippets of a 15 minute conversation I had with her while she was preparing a snack. Please excuse her wild end of the day hair and the disaster in the background. I don't call this space messy mom for nothing.



She has a LONG way to go before she is caught up. I'm proud of how far she has come though and I have to focus on that and remember my favorite Bible verse Jeremiah 29:11 to keep things in perspective.

I am going to paraphrase a little here, but you'll understand why.

For I know the plans I have for SJ declares the Lord, plans to prosper her and not harm her, plans to give her hope and a future.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome stuff!! Molly is in speech, for different reasons, but when other people began to understand her without me repeating what she said was a huge breakthrough for us! She is still in speech 2 times a week to help with some small sounds, but I hear ya on coming far, but it's a struggle each step! Can't wait to see what all SJ learns and says this year!!

Jennifer Pepito said...

I loved this Natalie! My second daughter has Auditory Processing Difficulties and Developmental Delays and so every milestone has been a big deal to me. Sometimes, when she is struggling in a college class or being difficult to understand, I feel frustrated, but like you, having a record of where we started is so helpful for realizing that we are making strides, even if they are slower than I may hope for.

The Flynnigans said...

This is AMAZING. You must be bubbling over with pride and joy. :)

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Oh sweet friend... you and I - kindred! My only girlie didn't use her words with anyone but me for most of her toddler years. In preK and Kindergarten she was get rewards for using her words in class from the teachers and through out elementary school, she went to speech therapy! I so remember the feeling of pride when she would say something clearly... and to someone other than me or her Daddy! She was so shy... but now? Now you would never ever know she had speech problems or was ever shy!

blestbutstrest said...

I'm so glad that you kept track of what she said so that you can 'remember the journey' (Micah 6:5) and see the mighty acts of the Lord!

Tobi said...

What a sweet, feisty little girl.Loved how she just beamed when she was talking about her teachers. Great post Natalie!

Unknown said...

What a great post. I love how much you share with us and I love how honest your journey is. I guess I should start writing stuff down Luke says. Right now when you ask him what his name is, he says "name" it is cute and probably something I won't remember unless I write it down. :)

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

You daughter is beautiful and speaks so well, her smile makes me smile and I love how the video reflects an engaged, smart, SMILING, little feisty girl who jokes with you and busily prepares snack. I also love that you've documented her speech journey so you have a record of her progress and that will certainly help others who have littles with implants to see what type of progress she made. Amazing! Thanks for sharing this! Makes my heart happy!

sarah may said...

I love that you tracked it all! You are seeing His faithfulness. So awesome!

sarah may said...

I love that you tracked it all! You are seeing His faithfulness. So awesome!

{amy} said...

I love it! She is doing SO great!! I could understand almost everything she said! She has come so far!