Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Meeting a Project Runway Fashion Designer

A couple years ago my best friend called me to let me know that there was a deaf designer on Project Runway that signed and had a cochlear implant. I had never watched the show before that or since then, but I religiously followed that entire season rooting for Justin LeBlanc the entire time. At one point he was actually eliminated and it was very emotional. I might have okay, I did shed a tear, but then he was able to get back on the show because you know how those reality shows can go.

 I was thrilled to see a role model on a popular TV show that was deaf like my daughter and I even blogged about how I was a big fan. So when I found out that Justin LeBlanc was coming to my SJ's school I was ecstatic! I had the opportunity to photograph the event for the school. After LeBlanc was introduced to the kids (grades K-2) they had a Q&A which mostly included 


Can you make shirts?

Can you make a hat?
Can you make shoes? 
Did you make your clothes?
Did you make my clothes? 
Can you make toys?
And lastly, How old are you?



 The answer is yes he can make just about any clothing item, but no he did not make the clothes anyone there was wearing, and he is 28 years old.

 Afterwards LeBlanc helped all them decorate their own hat. It really was the coolest thing! It was like watching the mini version of Project Runway with all of them busily losing themselves in the fabric and materials.




Then came the fashion show! 






 All of the elementary age students walked down the runway in front of their classmates and other special guests. It was adorable to say the least. 




At the end LeBlanc shared a little bit more about his hearing loss and what his passions are.  I was able to get a picture and talk to him briefly when everything ended. In classic fan girl fashion I started sputtering out "It is SO great to meet you. I never even watched Project Runway until you were on it" and his response was "Yeah, me neither." I have had a lot of PR fans ask about what he was like in real life, not that I hung out with him for a week or anything, but for that afternoon he was so polite, sincere, and always had this smile on his face.




His parents were there too. Whenever there is a deaf celebrity I am always most interested in the parents behind the scenes, because that's what I relate to and I loved getting to visit with them. 

 I'm sure everyone there took away different things from the experience, but the highlights for me were hearing LeBlanc talk about how Project Runway was kind of like a designer summer camp for him because he had six weeks being completely unplugged. No cell phone. No social networking. No TV. Just hours upon hours spent working on clothes and really getting to focus on his craft, which he had never had that opportunity to do to that extent before. 


On top of all that channel 12 in Cincinnati was there. 





Much to my surprise they decided to interview me (I am the only woman in the video. It's about the halfway point and they also show a short clip of SJ while I am talking). I'll admit it was a little bit intimidating and definitely made me self-conscious, it was still a great experience though. The cameraman and anchorwoman were so personable and down-to-earth. You can view the video on their website. 

 Local 12 WKRC-TV Cincinnati - Top Stories


I really can't say enough good things about the fashion show at Ohio Valley Voices and I do want to give credit to Justin Leblanc designs, Sewn Studios, and TJ Maxx for donating their time and materials. I know that it means so much to these kids and their families.


 I meant what I said in my interview


"It's really inspiring to have someone that's deaf that's shown how successful you can be despite whatever challenges you may face. I think they had a great time"

12 comments:

Susan said...

This is so great for EVERYONE involved. Loved the pictures of the kids walking the runway with their hats. Wonderful memory for them and YOU!!!

Barbara Deatherage said...

How very exciting for you and what a treat for the kids. Thanks for all the pictures!

Jennifer Pepito said...

What an exciting day Natalie! Your pictures are really great and I am so glad that you and your daughter had the fun of meeting such a talented designer.

Christine Leeb said...

So precious, Natalie! That is just a beautiful thing when someone overcomes a disability and God shines so brightly through them! You were beaming in the brief interview. Way to go! I have loved learning more about you and your story. May God bless you always!

Christine

The Flynnigans said...

Wow, what a great opportunity the kids had to meet him, and you too! I just love that he helped them decorate their hats and then the kids all paraded down their very own runway. So endearing. :)

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Wow, what an amazing opportunity and a chance to see how someone with a hearing loss never let it hold him back. I'm sure it's very inspiring and special to see that he is an incredibly successful and talented man who at the young age of 28 has done so much in his life! I love the pic of the 3 of you, I bet your girl thought it was pretty special that they shared something in common that nobody else in the room had - extraordinary!

Unknown said...

Oh my word, how did you not bawl through the fashion show?! I am a huge crier at school events, which is odd and a tad embarrassing!! When Molly donated her hair and was interviewed on TV they asked me questions and I totally bombed! Thankfully they just showed Molly and asked her 1 question. Fun! What a great memory!

Erin Kass said...

That fashion show/hat project sounds awesome! I wanna do it myself :) Love this story...and the thought of spending weeks without distractions in order to just focus on a project/passion has me thinking!

blestbutstrest said...

What an amazing experience for both SJ and you! And what a fun project--the hats are adorable!

Why Girls Are Weird said...

SO COOL, what an exciting experience!

Lauren said...

Awesome! I've missed reading your adventures!!! Happy to get caught up, and this sounds like it was amazing!

{amy} said...

This is so so so great!! I watched the video when you first posted it on fb, but I haven't had the chance to read all about it until now. What a neat thing for him to do for the kids! I'm glad you got the opportunity to be a part of it!!