Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Her Toy Story

Two of my latest attempts at tweeting were some of my thoughts about Toy Story.





I just love Toy Story. The whole series is phenomenal if you ask me. I suppose the reason some of it is sentimental is because when I saw Toy Story 1 in the theater (multiple times) as a girl I had no idea that I would be seeing the prequel in the theater with my son 15 years later. The timing couldn't have been more perfect with how it all landed. 

Part of SJ's birthday tea party is inspired by the movie in a way. Remember the scene in the first movie where Sid's sister finds Buzz and he ends up dress up as the Mrs. Nesbit character "suckin' down Darjeeling with Marie Antoinette and her little sisters"?



Well, I don't on plan on having a one armed space ranger at the tea party, but I knew I wanted some of SJ's toys to be special guests along with her friends. First I had to decide which ones (because it is a surprise). Her Brave doll she got when she was two was definitely a contender, but she lost all her clothes,and that's not the kind of party we are going for. Some other toys were too big or too small to really fit in at the table so I narrowed it down to the final three and I think SJ will be really happy when she sees them at her party!



First off Minnie Mouse



If you watched the video about SJ's winter program then you know why Minnie was a front runner.


Second was the flower bunny.



When we went to Vermont last summer SJ carried this floppy bunny around the whole time!



She became super attached, but it wasn't her bunny. So when we flew back to Ohio they had to part ways. Shortly after that she found this bunny for 50 cents at a yard sale and so it became the rebound bunny. As with most of her stuffed animals  SJ likes to dress it up in her clothes. I didn't have a problem until I noticed her underwear supply seemed really low. I finally figured it out one day when I decided to undress all of the stuffed animals and realized all of them were wearing panties under their clothes. She's thorough!  So anyway all of that to say flower rebound bunny will definitely have a place at the table.

Lastly, dolly.



SJ received this doll for her third birthday, just after her second CI surgery. It was a gift from my Michigan friend, the one that made all those cupcakes for her first birthday. Dolly is very special
because she was hand made by my best friend and delivered with love in a time that best friends (and aunties) are needed most. SJ has already dined with dolly on several occasions. She's too floppy to sit up on her own, so SJ cleverly props her up by slipping Dolly's legs inside a tissue box. I couldn't imagine the tea party without this little rag doll.  

I know it's creepy for a grown woman to talk so emotionally about dolls and stuffed toys, but obviously this is for my daughter. To me they are just toys. You know, child's stuff...

Okay, fine! I'll admit it. I have had a little too much fun planning this tea party. It definitely makes me feel like a kid again. I think we could all stand to have a little more child like imagination from time to time.

What about you? Did you have a favorite toy/lovie growing up? How about your children?

11 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I don't find this creepy at all, I find it endearing! There are so many special toys and stuffed animals that accompany her children through everything. My oldest is particularly attached to two stuffed dogs, lucky and penny from 101 dalmatians. My husband brought them back from a business trip when Riley, now 10, was three and she never looked back. My youngest, Sydney is more attached to her dolls but has a special place in her heart for Frenchy, her pink stuffed poodle. They travel with us, I am family photos, and spend a lot of time find and center even to this day! I will be subbing in the corner when I realize they no longer need them which, for the record, I'm told will be never! Oh and by the way, I can't watch Toy story three without crying - same goes for Knuffle Bunny 3....I wouldn't recommend that one!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

After readying my comment, I promise to always proofread prior to posting going forward! Auto correct grrrrrr!

Zion said...

That's so funny Jessica. Don't worry about the autocorrect stuff. That happens to me ALL the time! I loved reading about your children's toys, and YES Toy Story 3 has a lot going on in the heart strings department, but especially the fact that I start connecting with the mom of all people. I can't believe her baby went to college! That means my kids are going to grow up and go to college, which is GREAT, but it's so bitter sweet.

Why Girls Are Weird said...

I had a COLLECTION of stuffed animals that I was addicted to. I was less into dolls, it was all about stuffed beers and dogs and cats and what not.

sarah may said...

Oh mercy, did I have some dolls! I played with baby dolls well into my elementary school years and sleep with my teddy bear until my wedding. It might still come out if my nightstand if Zach is out of town :-)

sarah may said...

Oh mercy, did I have some dolls! I played with baby dolls well into my elementary school years and sleep with my teddy bear until my wedding. It might still come out if my nightstand if Zach is out of town :-)

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Tea parties and themed birthdays and party dresses, oh my! How I miss those! Enjoy it... it looks/sounds like it will be a great party! How fun!

Wendy said...

Is it creepy? Oh no, I am in trouble. I have one child who is as attached to him stuffed animals as I was mine. He worries that some of them will end up with hurt feelings if he is feeling more attached to others one night. Poor lamb, I totally remember that internal tug of war over inanimate objects. Oh the stress of it all!

Unknown said...

I love my silly boy, but your stories make me sad i don't have a girl sometimes. Tea parties sound like so much fun and i think the thought you put into them shows how much you love your daughter and isn't creepy.
My son is a huge fan of cars, i bet if we showed him toy story he would latch onto it.
I don't miss the snow. I hope spring comes soon, spring in Ohio was my favorite time of the year. The first time i went to ohio i was there for 7 weeks from april to may and absolutely loved it. :)

{amy} said...

I have a purple-checked rag doll that my Mema A gave me when I was a little girl. She had pink yarn hair, but it's all gone now. I still have her though I don't sleep with her anymore! ;) Elly had two dolls, Dolly & Squeak. Dolly was from Geary, and I can't remember who Squeak was from! (I hope I have it written down somewhere). Cody went through phases where he would carry certain toys around every day, all day for weeks to months at a time. Sometimes it was army men, other times it would be a tiny skateboard or hot wheel. He also had a Woody & Buzz that he carried around (probably for the longest period). I think I've mentioned before that I always felt so bad for them when I would see them laying awkwardly somewhere (against the couch, under a cabinet at the Lighthouse, etc). Any other toy, and I wouldn't feel bad, but it was like Woody & Buzz were real and had simply frozen in the awkward position when we came around! :)

Mels said...

Awww...this is cute! I love that Dolly gets support from the tissue box, that makes me smile. And Rebound Bunny...hahahaha!