Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Tale of Two Parties




Last week I shared all about SJ's Tea Party and what a dream come true it was.

 Around that time I  read about another party from Allyson at 

We each had a daughter turning 5 and both parties included

Friends
Family
Crafts
Food
FUN

Here's the kicker, when Allyson wrote about her daughter's party on her blog and the title was "Why Our Parties Aren't Pinterest Perfect... and Why It's Okay With Me"




Allyson's post was not a slam against theme parties or matchy-matchy decorations. She was simply sharing her story and how there can be pressure to have a certain caliber of kiddie parties these days. She writes 
"It used to bother me. But lately I’ve been thankful I don’t have to live up to Pinterest-worthy standards and I can instead simply celebrate and enjoy being with my family."
 I think there are a lot of people that need to hear that! 

On the other hand, I wrote about my daughter's party and included a link to the pinterest board that I used to plan everything.

Granted my parties are nowhere near perfect, but I'll admit they are "pinteresty" and they do tend to circulate via repins.

And sometimes that makes me feel self conscious. I even had a draft for a post called "Defending My Pinteresty Parties" in which the first line said-
"I know all of you reading this are going to tell me I don't have to apologize for celebrating my children in whatever creative means I choose, but I guess I have to convince myself."
You see, I read a viral post on Facebook last year that was about children and entitlement. It said-
"In a way, we are just too into this parenting thing. We used to have birthday parties where A CAKE made it special and now it’s an EVENT." 
I read that and a little chip on my shoulder started whispering

That's you. The parties you throw for your kids are much more ellaborate than what you had back in 1989. 

Oh internet  satan, you have a such a way of knowing how to tear me down. I took it personally, until I realized my kids are probably not on the brink of materialism. The 3 of them share a bedroom and the 5 of us share one bathroom. They don't have a swing set.  They don't have the latest game systems or an iPad. We don't buy them Christmas presents (because they get plenty from their relatives) and they have never been to The Magic Kingdom.


 So the trouble isn't in throwing a cutesy birthday party (or going to Disney World). It's when you make your kids the center of the universe and feel like you have to satisfy their every whim. 


Once I realized that I felt a lot better. 

The point of all this is to say Allyson's party and my party might look different on pinterest, but the heart was the same. We are both moms that wanted to celebrate a milestone and we had a great time doing it. And it looks like the girls did too! 














SJ with her birthday cupcake on the left 
(photo by: Natalie of Messy Mom) 
and Eliya adding homemade sprinkles to her cake on the right. 
(Photo by: Allyson of All Our Days)







This post is for anyone out there feeling pressure to conform to one extreme or the other. Don't let the internet determine your celebrations! If creating a couple dozen invitations by hand is your thing and you are able to do that, then go for it. If you can afford to fork out the money to have an all inclusive party where you hardly lift a finger, then I say more power to ya! If you want to go 1989 style and cover a 13x9 cake with a store bought jar of frosting and call it a party then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Most children do not care if you have party favors that coordinate with your theme or if the cupcakes are store bought. They are just excited to get to be a year older. I know it's  been a long time since most of us have had those feelings, but it's true!

So give yourself a break. 

You are not solely responsible for putting the happy in their birthday and neither is pinterest.  

20 comments:

Holly Housewife said...

I find this the hardest thing to balance!! I'm not going to deprive my babe of everything but I'm also not going to hand him the world.
It's a very fine line and it's different for every child/family. I just go with my flow and try not to let it get into my head too much :)

Holly Housewife said...

Looks like you guys had a great party :)

Cheetah [Sweet Baby Bug] said...

I used to get so consumed with the idea that my events had to be "pinterest" worthy that it was honestly a chore to even plan them and I love to plan a good party or gathering. I've had to learn to just be self creative, have fun with it and then let it go... does anyone really remember all those tiny details anyways?

Rachel said...

I absolutely love throwing a party--I don't love taking pictures of a party very much--it's almost a hobby for me. Last year, my cousin asked me to throw her highschool graduation party, primarily because she knew if her parents threw one, it would be boring, because they don't enjoy party planning at all, while I just do. Nothing wrong with liking to go all out for parties! I was just talking to my sisters on Skype yesterday, because one of my sisters is turning 13 today. They didn't have any plans for her birthday until two days before, then they sat around and decided to invite 10 or so people over and make a huge 3-course formal feast with all of her favorite dishes. She's baking 4 kinds of desserts, and they're all planning to wear their fanciest dresses...I'd say the party planning gene runs strong in my family...

MrsTee said...

It looks like both parties came out great! I have gone from one extreme to another...my Kiddies all have very different personalities and tastes and their birthday being within a 3 month timeframe of each other doesn't really help...LOL

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I LOVE planning, decorating, making flowers special and coordinate. I do realize not everyone is into it, and I think you're right - everyone does it differently. The focus should be on your day - what feels right for your family. I love a good throwback so an 80s party would be super fun too. What I'm not okay with? Over the top, completely indulgent parties - with crazy expensive favors, and competitive gifting. I mean, these are kids, in the end, there is nothing like good ol fashion fun, giggles and celebration!

Justine Y @ Little Dove said...

Perfectly said! Thank you for sharing! A lot of times the things we do "for our kids" almost seem like they're really more for us, but so what? If at the end of the day everybody's happy why does it matter? Totally agree that it's really about moderation and not going overboard in all aspects. for instance, the years the we throw friends parties for my children, that's pretty much their birthday present that your. So why should I feel bad if maybe we go big and one way or another? Likewise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with just inviting a couple friends over for some cupcakes and singing Happy Birthday. I'll be sharing this on my Facebook page, thanks again.

Justine Y @ Little Dove said...

Perfectly said! Thank you for sharing! A lot of times the things we do "for our kids" almost seem like they're really more for us, but so what? If at the end of the day everybody's happy why does it matter? Totally agree that it's really about moderation and not going overboard in all aspects. for instance, the years the we throw friends parties for my children, that's pretty much their birthday present that your. So why should I feel bad if maybe we go big and one way or another? Likewise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with just inviting a couple friends over for some cupcakes and singing Happy Birthday. I'll be sharing this on my Facebook page, thanks again.

Rachel H said...

I really think both parties were wonderful because regardless they were given by loving mothers who wanted to give them special memories. Who cares how they came about them, or what others think. As long as it is for the right reason, which is love for you child, what the heck does it matter? Kudos to you both! Remember....comparison is the thief of joy!

Kailei Pew said...

I love this! You are so right to point out that what mattered in both of these parties is the heart. I think that whatever we give our children out of love from the heart is what matters.

Anonymous said...

Love this, it relates to weddings. There is so much pressure to have the pinterest perfect wedding, I just want something simple! Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Great post!! I am a lover of parties, especially kids parties. But I do find it stressful at times, and all worth it in the end! Great post!!!

Fawn Rosenbohm said...

Love this! I always feel so much pressure planning parties. Loved this post. You did a great job.

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Oh I love this, friend! I love Pinterest and planning parties and gatherings and picking themes and such - but I also love the freedom of just ordering pizza and playing games around my living room that may or may not have been vacuumed that week! ;) Not EVERYTHING is Pinterest perfect - and I think as long as we are ok with that and still keep those priorities of loving people and honoring our relationships, then it doesn't matter if we have matching dishes or decorations in every corner - because we are celebrating either way! Here's to freedom and loving our people -with or without elaborate Pins and Boards and such!

Unknown said...

I believe that no matter how you celebrate your child feels loved because you did it for them. This is their day, so no matter how you choose to honor them don't let other adults judge what you are doing for them. As long as they do not feel entitled, or expecting you to top it each year. Go for it!

Both of these girls felt the love from their parents, and that is because you reinforce it daily. Good for you both.

{amy} said...

Well said! It's not everyone's style, personality, or skillset to do a Pinteresty party, but they sure are super cute! :)

Lisa said...

Great JOB!! I mean great job in hosting your daughter's birthday party. Great JOB in realizing it's ok for you to be creative and share creativity with your children. AND Great job in recognizing the lies of the enemy!!
Blessings of GREAT JOY on your amazing journey with Jesus!

Unknown said...

Oh us moms and our chips we carry on our shoulders! So glad you realized that either way is just fine and the main thing is finding joy in and with your children!

martha brady said...

your child will not remember the perfect birthday party. they will remember the party had where they had a lot of fun! it may only be a party they had with their best friend.

it so doesn't need to be a production. mix it up a little. some years are crazy busy, others aren't as stressed. don't plan on big expensive parties every year. it isn't necessary and it will be less stressful for you as well.

blestbutstrest said...

Well said! It's natural for us to want more for our children than we had--but that can certainly cause problems if we don't realize that we need to balance that out with teaching them how to be givers to the less fortunate and champions of the voiceless.