Tuesday, March 24, 2015

What Appliance Can You Live Without

Last Friday I wrote a post called "My Loud Dishwasher" and it stirred up quite a discussion. I implied that I must be one of the only people left in America these days that was forced to wash dishes by hand. What I found in response was quite the contrary.

One comment after the other revealed that there were a lot more homes without dishwashers than I ever thought! The research was somewhat conflicting, but at best only 75% of homes in America have dishwashers. So I was right in that most homes do have dishwashers, but 1 out of 4 don't. That's a lot people without one!

There was an interesting article I read called "Death of a Dishwasher" which has some fascinating info about the trends of dishwashers around the world. US and Norway are the leaders for this appliance, but in most countries you aren't find dishwashers anywhere! They just aren't that common. A 2004 Washington Post article explains that many immigrants who have come to America and had access to a dishwasher just ignore the the option entirely! In these cases they are more likely to be used to store snacks or as a drying rack. One Chinese-American man asked: "Do you have to wash it beforehand to rinse it off? And if you wash it beforehand, why do you even need to use it?" I have had the same thoughts, which is why I am notorious for under rinsing and then chipping off little flakes of melted cheese crusted onto the plate after it comes out of the dishwasher.

I became curious how dishwashers ranked compared to other appliances. So
I did the best I could navigating the web to find data. I believe these percentages are fairly accurate, but they weren't easy to come by. So please don't take the following statistics as cold hard fact.

The Estimated Percentages of Homes in America With The Following Appliances


Central Air Conditioning 72% 

Dishwasher 75% 

Computer 84% 

Washer and dryer 85%

Refrigerator 95% and 2 refrigerators 30%

Microwave 95%

Television 95% and the major majority of them have more than one set 


Some of these really surprised me! I don't have a microwave or a washer and dryer set. Until now I had no idea how uncommon that was.

Apparently the trends of our culture do not reflect that of my preference.
Here is the order I would put these 7 appliances with #1 being "couldn't live without it" and #7 being "I could give it up pretty easily".

1. Refrigerator.

2. Computer

3. Air conditioning

4. Washer and Dryer*

5. Dish Washer

6.  Television

7. Microwave


I think refrigerator is a deal breaker for obvious reasons, but honestly I would almost rather eat out or eat non perishable food than go without a computer. Then when I remembered that I could use a computer at the library I compromised, but that was a close call!

I have lived without air conditioning and it was brutal, but the above statistic did not include window units so there are a lot more than 72% of homes that do have some form AC and the few that have no AC whatsoever probably live in cooler climates.

*I put a star by washer and dryer because I have it as number 4 even though I don't actually have one, yet I do have a dishwasher and Television. I hate having to bring my clothes to a coin laundry. This is not the first time in my life I have been in this position though. If it were up to me I would pick washer and dryer over dish washer any day, but I live an apartment where that's not an option right now.

I've lived without a television before and I could easily do it again. I am not a big TV person, but I do enjoy having one.

Lastly I don't have a microwave and I don't miss it. Except for one major exception- reheating warm drinks. Everything else I am totally comfortable using the oven or toaster, and we love our jiffy pop. I'll probably still do stove popcorn just for the fun of it, even when we do have a microwave again.

So what about you?



 Are there any on this list that you don't have? Is there something that's not on the list that is your absolute favorite?

Let me know in the comments!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh goodness, after reading that post I feel uber spoiled!! I would say I could probably live without the microwave. Everything else would be hard!! Sheesh, spoiled :) Great post!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Okay, I live in New Hampshire and we don't have central AC so I'm not sure if I should count that? The weather never gets really all that hot except for the occasional 90 degree stint which is quite nice actually. If I lived in the Sourh though? It would be a must! I have to say the microwave would be mine and I couldn't go without a fridge!

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Ah yes... I have thought of this recently myself! I could live without a dishwasher - but then again... it's just my Honey and I again - so there's that! Plus - I have been talking about unplugging the microwave just to see. We don't use it much - but I'm sure that unplugging it would make me realize it gets used more than I want to admit to!

Claire said...

When we didn't have a fridge/freezer for a few months, I would buy food fresh and the milk I sat in a sink of cold water. Yeh, it sucked.

Why Girls Are Weird said...

I pretty much agree with you although I'd maybe switch TV and dish washer around.

Zion said...

Karrilee, it's true. The microwave thing doesn't bother me except in the winter if I want to make hot chocolate you have to dirty a pan and the milk is always hard to get to just the right temp and then it sticks to the pot and is hard to clean. Or if you have some coffee from starbucks that you just want to heat up a touch, well that's just a huge ordeal without a microwave.

Zion said...

Krysten. That one is a toss up for me too, but I REALLY love my dishwasher for our large family. It definitely saves time and it's nice to know that the hot water is disinfecting when you have baby bottles or you recently had a child who was sick.

Kimberly said...

Well this is hard LOL... I think I could live without my dishwasher. I've done it before when I lived in Long Beach and Manhattan. Although, I didn't have kids then ;)

I COULD NOT live without a washer/dryer. We wash way too many clothes to haul to a laundry mat!

Microwave is convenient but I could probably live without it if I really really had to lol

Unknown said...

For me it would be a toss up between the fridge and the washer and dryer. Our Washer broke a few weeks ago and it upended my life!

Hall Around Texas said...

There is no chore I hate more than loading and unloading the dishwasher. I think I could totally live without it. I’d much rather just hand wash the dishes!

Unknown said...

When our dish washer broke for 3 weeks (having a rental sometimes means you have to wait) it was surprisingly not hard to use the dish washer. We used it as a drying rack. We have slowly started to become more dependent on it again, but I guess technically we could live without it. I would also say tv wouldn't be a hard thing to give up, but we do watch a lot of movies so it nice to have a place to watch movies and not have to go to the theater.
Oh and we don't have AC, but last summer we only had one really hot day and I have learned on warmer days to use my out to eat card or make meals that don't require an oven. Waffles anyone?

Holly Housewife said...

Omg these lists are so funny!! I love seeing how everyone else responds!
I would honestly have tv at the tip top of my list because it's my life. I may go without a fridge and have the tv! Lolol since I live in canadian I could keep most of my refrigerator food outside in the snow for the majority of the year. Hahaha. The summers I will eat out :)

Holly Housewife said...

Canada***!

{amy} said...

I guess I'd say the TV. When I really think about it, I could do without some others, though. I hand wash some things, and I rinse and possibly even wipe everything else. My family usually can't tell if the dishes in there are clean or dirty, so I guess I just use the dishwasher as a sanitizer! If I absolutely had to live without the microwave, I could make that work. I don't think I could really do without the fridge, computer, & A/C, and it's hard to find laundromats around here, so those would be my top four items, too!