Friday, March 20, 2015

My Loud Dishwasher

Most of my adult life I have been washing dishes by hand. I know it shocking that there are people in AMERICA in the 21st century that do not have dishwashers, but it's true!


Our old kitchen. The dishwasher is on the left. 
I won't go through all of the places we lived and why there was no working dishwasher, but washing dishes in a tub of soapy warm water was my reality for over 10 years, other than a short stretch of time before we sold our house in Texas.

We did a complete kitchen remodel and we went all out for the energy efficient stainless steel dishwasher. My favorite feature was the "top rack only" option for when you only had half a load of dishes.



I remember when we bought that dishwasher. We were at the home improvement store and the salesperson was showing us all the bells and whistles of their best appliances. We got to the dishwasher and he asked me if my cell ringer was on. I gave him a confused and reluctant Yeeees. Then he told me to put my cell phone in the dishwasher! I thought he was crazy, but you know what they say "always trust a salesman". Not really, but I was going with the flow. Then he shut the door and had J call my cellphone. The salesman grinned and looked at us like we should be just as excited as he was. My husband was nodding and looked impressed. I was still  confused until I was informed that the dishwasher was so sound proof that you couldn't even hear a phone ring inside it. Which must be a big selling point for some. For me it just meant that if the kids hid my phone in the dishwasher I was never going to find it.

So that was the time that we had a fancy silent dishwasher. The next dishwasher came when we moved into our current apartment.

What's teeny, tiny, and beige all over?



 Our kitchen.

It's the kind of kitchen you would find in a camper. See that row of white drawers in the foreground? We installed them. The kitchen originally came with a whopping total of 4 drawers, 6 cupboards, and literally two feet of counter space. It would be perfect if you were a single minimalist living in the 1980's. It's okay though, because one thing it does have is a dishwasher. It's clunky, old and it is LOUD. The volume is like having a monster truck rally in our kitchen. And I am totally fine with that!

When I hear that dishwasher spraying and swishing, heating and drying, I am just reminded of all the dishes I am not washing by hand. Sometimes when the rhythm of the noise is just right I swear it is to the tune of the opening chorus from Les Miserables.



If you are not familiar with The Work Song from the French Musical then just imagine the opening song from Frozen. Pretty much the same thing.

My word for 2015 is "good". I am determined to look for the good in things this year and that's how I feel about my dishwasher. It's good. It's not the best, but it's good. It is a blessing.

I know this is a really bazaar assignment, but I want you to listen for your blessings today. There are going to be the obvious things like birds chirping or children laughing, but go even deeper.

 I remember hanging out with someone and their heater kicked on. You could hear it rumble and she apologized because it was so loud.

No apology needed! We have heat. We can be warm. That's a blessing.

We all have a loud dishwasher in some form or another. Take that thing that could be considered intrusive noise and watch it become music to your ears.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Our dishwasher I kid you not is like an original model from probably the 60/70's...it takes 82 minutes to run and it's loud!! I never had a dishwasher until I got married, my mom still doesn't have one. At first I was annoyed with this old dishwasher, but truthfully, I am thankful it runs and cleans the dishes! Great post! :)

Zion said...

That makes me feel a lot better Kate. That's amazing that your mom doesn't have one! My parents don't either and we lived with them for a year after we moved so that was part of the details I left out when I said I wouldn't explain all of the places we lived at without a dishwasher, but our first apartment didn't have one or our first house. And another thing I didn't mention that I can relate to you with it ours takes a LOOOOONG time to wash too!

The Flynnigans said...

I hand wash and have a dishwasher but I tell you, when ours broke down in January, even for just a couple of days between the old one breaking down and getting the new one, I seriously felt like I was constantly doing dishes.. and my hands were a crackly, dry mess. My mom has always told me to use gloves but I can never get a good grasp or feel of what's in the sink OR I end up getting water in them.

I was so grateful when our new one came. Ours was so bloody loud leading up to it breaking down though, we'd actually laugh and imitate the noises from the other room.

Have a great weekend hun!
xo

Christina said...

Think I will now double check the inside of my dishwasher for my phone after reading your post. I have a four year old, so. . . It's funny how I can watch Downton Abbey and feel poor and then see a how other people treasure what we take for granted and then feel super wealthy. Yes, we have a never ending list of people, places and things to be thankful for, which is really quite wonderful and praiseworthy.

Jenny said...

Enjoyed this post and then pinned it so others can enjoy it as well!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Our dishwasher is irritatingly loud but I'm happy to have it, especially since we have an extra mouth to feed these days (my Mom). I love your vivid description of your old "camper" kitchen! I also adore the last Thankful quote - it is so true!

Timmerman's Place said...

Great blog, Natalie. My funniest sounding machine has been my last washing machine. It truly sounded like a Boeing 747 was taking off and then landing in the laundry room. :) I am with you...thankful to have a machine help with mundane household chores.

p.s. My current dish washer sounds like a water fountain leaking inside the cabinet. i check it quite frequently.

Marina said...

Well, if it washes the dishes, than it's good! :D And you have an extra music with the washing, how cool is that?

nancy from ky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly Housewife said...

Too funny!!! I would never need a dishwasher to be that quiet I don't think, but it is a good sales technique! Hahah

Top rack only wash sounds amazing though!! I love love our dishwasher so much I'm not sure I could ever go back! Our next home had better have one or it won't be the home for us lol

Nikki said...

I grew up without a dishwasher but ones I moved to the US I was able to have that luxury. Ours is insanely loud and if you want to watch a movie just wait till afterwards to turn it on.

blestbutstrest said...

Oh, amen! I'll be listening for blessings today (I'm pretty good at seeing them, but I'm not so much of an auditory person--unless we're talking about bird songs--I hear those!).

Rachel H said...

Love this! I'm all about looking for the blessing in the stranger places! I had this type of epiphany when our toliet wouldn't stop running. At first it drove me nuts, but then I remembered how lucky we were to have indoor plumbing!

{amy} said...

Mine seems louder than the one we had in our first house, but it may just seem that way because it's closer to the living room. What I miss is the delay start feature we had on the one in the house we used to rent! That was so great! I could set it to start in the middle of the night when nobody else needed hot water!

Zion said...

Delay start!? Amy I love that idea. I hope the dishwasher people are reading this post to see what people really are looking for in a dishwasher ;)