Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sj's Itty Bitty Living Space

It's not so much that SJ has an "itty bitty living space" (to quote the genie from Aladdin), because her house is 1800 square feet, and that's livable. The thing is, out of that entire house there is just one little corner dedicated to her. I've heard people say "don't bother with things like a nursery, shoes before a child is walking, or a first birthday party because they aren't necessary and the child doesn't care", but you will not find me in that camp. So even though her stuff is in her brother's room and she sleeps in our room I still had to decorate. The colors in Z's room before were red, yellow, green, and blue. My job was to incorporate pink in a way that would not clash with the preexisting primary colors and thanks to Ikea and my mom's craftiness we were able to pull it off with our small budget.
We swapped out some of the blue in the room with updated stuff like a green rug from Ikea and valence made by my mom.

We had a hand-me-down travel bassinet with Z that I loved so much I blogged about it. It wasn't all that cute though so....

we covered it. That's my mom's mad sewing skills right there.

My mom also covered this old glider with red corduroy when I had Z. I added the quilt from Target and one of my best friends made the matching pillow.

We already owned this green table from Ikea and J found the chairs at a used furniture store. He ended up getting them free because the church was buying a ton of other stuff for the coffee shop. Talk about a steal :)

Z had a street sign and clothes hamper with his name on it, along with a poster of a taxi cab photo that I took when I was pregnant with him and planning his room. Naturally I evened it out by giving SJ ALL the same little customized things on her side of the room.


There is actually more, but that's enough details for one blog post even for an HGTV lover like myself. I know her space will grow as she does, but for now I think she likes it.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, I think y'all did great! I love the valance and how it goes with that pink. The bassinet is adorable! Your mom really does have skills.

{amy} said...

Y'all did such a great job with the space! I love it!!

{Also, it was great to see you on Saturday!}