Tuesday, June 8, 2010

WFMW: Toddler Haircut


I have been cutting my son's hair his entire life, all two and a half years of it. This time I decided to change things up and instead of the bowl cut that hangs straight down I would take on the challenge of an actual hair style. So I went to beautyandthebath.com found this picture

and voila we have the perfect summer do for this handsome young man.

Here is what it looked like right before I cut it.


You can do your tots locks too. All you need is:

A pair of hair cutting shears, nothing fancy, just small scissors.
Spray bottle to wet down the hair
Highchair, the kind that can recline is preferable that way the back of the chair does not get in the way.
Video to keep them entertained. I use my laptop that way I can cut his hair anywhere in the house. I also reward him with a
lollipop.

I use my fingers as a guide when snipping and from there I just eye ball it to get the hair even and the length I want. I share this as more of an encouragement than a "how to article". I have no training whatsoever and a very squirmy, high energy toddler, so if I can do it anyone can. Although, I have friends that swear they could never cut their kids hair and so maybe it's not for everyone, but it works for me. That's why this post is a part of the Works For Me Wednesday blog carnival over at wearethatfamily.com Check it out to find more "works for me".

12 comments:

Rachel Moss said...

I'm very impressed! I can't even imagine trying to cut my daugther's hair...and I'm always envious of people who can "eyeball" measurements. That is just not one of my talents!

Taylor said...

Very cute! I don't know if I could do it!
Taylor
http://thelumberjackswife.wordpress.com

Michele R said...

Look at that gorgeousness!!!
After all these years the Hubs just bought a clipper set and does his own and two out of three boys' hair.
I am extremely impressed with your talent!! Does Z like it??

Shelby said...

I'm just seriously afraid I'm going to poke him in the eye. Do you think those little plastic kindergarten scissors would do the trick? LOL

Shelby@ http://www.genxmomsblog.com/

Penniless Parenting said...

Too cute! I don't cut my son's hair yet because of community customs, but once I start cutting it, I'll probably do it myself like that. Thanks for the encouragement! I always like to do these types of things myself- why waste money when you can do it youself for free?

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Wow! He looks great!! I'm VERY impressed with your hair-cutting skillz! :)

Aiming4Simple said...

Love the cut! I just pull out the electric clipper, though my little guy is never happy about it.

Zion said...

Michele- He hasn't said a word about it, which is funny since he is so verbal. That's still better than saying "I don't like it!"

Shelby- That is hilarious, I cut my husband's hair too and he is always afraid I am going to poke him in the eye.

Amy@TheCircusMcGurkus.blogspot.com said...

I cut my little guy's hair too. I put on an Elmo DVD and use a beard trimmer. It's just the right size and the Elmo keeps him distracted long enough to get it done.

You did a great job on your son's hair. I don't mind cutting DS's hair but using the scissors on it scares me.

hannah lewiston said...

great job - it looks just like the photo. :) i'm glad videos work for you and Z. :D no matter how many distractions i use, Gids throws a huge fit and ducks his head down so i can't cut his hair. oh well... it is what it is.

{amy} said...

I love it! I can't believe how different he looks now! I cut Cody's hair, too ~ but (as you know) he wears it long so I don't have to do it very often!

Anonymous said...

Oh I like both the before and the after pic. My youngest has the same cut as the "before", glad to know how to cut it if he ever lets me! LOL

~RD