Monday, January 10, 2011

2011 Babies Will Know More Than We Think

I recently read an article on Yahoo News, go figure, and it was titled 30 things babies born in 2011 Will Never Know. While our rapid advancement in technology always amazes me I didn't agree with all of the thing writer Stacy Johnson was saying would be on the out in the next 15 years or so. Paper maps was on the list and that makes sense to me. With GPS and online resources who is going to go out and by a paper map these days? Dial up internet is another one that I would agree is pretty much obsolete. However here are a couple that I thought were a little far fetched, or at least I hope so.

1. "One picture to a frame: Such a waste of wall/counter/desk space to have a separate frame around each picture. Eight gigabytes of pictures and/or video in a digital frame encompassing every person you’ve ever met and everything you’ve ever done – now, that’s efficient. Especially compared to what we used to do: put our friends and relatives together in a room and force them to watch what we called a “slide show” or “home movies."

Looking through old family photos this past Christmas.


Maybe it's my profession that makes me anti digital frames, but I like hard copies. For me photography is art (have you read my recent article?). I would never hang a digital painting on the wall so why would botch up a beautiful photograph like that? In the same way I do not plan to stop sending annual Christmas card photos anytime soon even though everyone can see them online.

2. "Talking to one person at a time: Remember when it was rude to be with one person while talking to another on the phone? Kids born today will just assume that you’re supposed to use texting to maintain contact with five or six other people while pretending to pay attention to the person you happen to be physically next to."

Oh, this one irks me to no end and I know some of you ladies are with me. My pre and post 2011 children WILL KNOW the beauty, respect, and peace that comes from UNDIVIDED attention. Another art form that I will fight to the death for. Okay, maybe that's a little extreme, but you get my passion.

3. Watches: Maybe as quaint jewelry, but the correct time is on your smartphone, which is pretty much always in your hand.

I personally don't usually wear a watch, but I do like having one when I photograph weddings because I need to know what time it is fast. I can't always pull out my phone when I am taking pictures. I do agree that watches are mainly for fashion, but I don't see why this one even made the list for things babies in 2011 will never know. Look at how many people wear belts or glasses even though they may not be for purely functional purposes.



It's hard to predict the future. My friend and I were talking about Back to the Future 2. That movie projected the year 2015 and we all had flying cars. It was a nice thought, but I don't foresee us all flying around in 3 years. As far as printed photographs, one on one conversations, and watches, we'll see if they are going the way of the encyclopedia, but I am going to guess that our children will still be able to experience all of them.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so with you - digital frames are a neat idea but the quality of the photo is nothing like a print. i personally like having frames and albums all over the place. :)and just keep preaching about the texting thing - that is just plain RUDE to allow our kids to text while someone is talking to them. and i am an avid watch-wearer. always have been. yes, my phone has the time (and that's what peter uses) but the simplicity of have a clock strapped to a convenient, non intrucive place on your body (hey, they use to dangle them from chains)is really great to me. all of these ideas or presumptions support getting completely sucked into the digital world and forgetting some of the personal touches of life. i don't like that. :(