Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Digging Learning


I don’t know if you’d call it an addiction, a phase, a hobby, or a lifestyle. All I know is that so far I am really digging this whole organic farming thing, and by organic I don't mean that in the certified, trendy, city sense of the word, I just mean natural and wholesome. There is still so much that J and I want to try and have yet to learn.

First of all I would love to do some canning. With fresh produce you get so much at once it makes sense to have some of it stored up to last throughout the year. We have canned fig jam and tried our hand at pickling,

but I am still a novice and if we want to get serious we are going to need a water bath or pressure canner. Anyone know anything about these?

Next we are learning more about seeds and plants in general. It’s all very complicated, but it's also fascinating and I feel like every little detail shows me a glimpse of our creator. I would love to learn more about the seeds, the process, and the life cycles of what we plant. I am currently working on drying some coriander which is the flower/seed that comes at the end of the season for cilantro.

You can use it to cook or plant and I am just learning about all of this for the first time!

Lastly, composting has definitely peaked our interest, but we haven’t even begun to explore all that this process has to offer unless throwing a couple tomatoes and a deformed watermelon, into a pile counts. I am sure if our neighbors knew about it they would probably have a conniption fit. Hopefully we'll figure out what we are doing with all of this when we come back from our vacation. Anyone else try composting or know of any good resources?

So that’s where we are at in this little gardening adventure. Not sure what to expect, but definitely enjoying the season we are in.

If you have any blog posts on gardening, canning, composting etc. post the links in the comments section. I'd love to read all about it!

2 comments:

{amy} said...

I wish I had some knowledge in any of it! I look forward to learning as you do!

nancy from ky said...

our Aunt April has done serious composting. Done right it's not too smelly. I know you need earth worms, lime and garbage.