Sunday, July 24, 2011

Macinac Island

In 2002 I met these cool sisters from Michigan that had been visiting our church. I invited myself over to their dorm room one day so that I could kill time in between classes. A friendship was born and almost 10 years later I am finally getting to see where they are from!

After spending the night in a cabin they have in Gaylord Michigan we began J’s birthday with a trip to Macinac Island. It’s a one of a kind destination in that it does not allow any motorized vehicles. You ride a ferry to get there

and then you can make your way around the 8 miles perimeter by way of foot, horse, or bike.

We spent the day riding our rental bikes around the island


and taking in the beautiful view of Lake Heron

and the many great landmarks of the historic island.

I also bought some peanut butter fudge because the island is famous for it’s fudge and you can’t go without stocking up (even if it is $8 a lb yikes!).

We saw 3 lighthouses that day

and J and I took the scenic route back to Tawas were our friends live. It all ended with a some photos of a beautiful sunset, because you know I just can’t help myself!


3 comments:

{amy} said...

I remember meeting those cool sisters! Beautiful pictures! I've always wanted to go to Macinac Island! One day...

nancy from ky said...

I've wanted to go back to the island ever sense I was there in 81'. You've helped remind me. Maybe soon, the way I get around. Haha.

Virginia Revoir said...

Ohhh, I love the beach but we are soooo far away!