Friday, July 15, 2011

Kansas City

7-12-2011

On day two we went to a place called Deanna Rose Children’s farmstead.


If you are ever in the area it is a must see. It’s almost like a zoo or a park, but it’s all local wildlife and farm animals.

We walked around, pet some goats, fed some turkeys, and then went fishing. Z has never been fishing and this was a good place to start.

They give you an old fashioned pole with a hook and a bucket of worms. The policy is catch and release. The fish are small, but easy to catch.

We did have one fish lose an eye and I felt terrible about it. He’ll never be able to watch 3D that way.


After lunch and some coffee at some recommended KC places we kind of stumbled into the World War I museum.

I went to the top of the memorial to take a few quick pictures, but was completely caught off guard my reaction to the view, the architecture, and overall magnitude of the place. I actually cried a little. It’s weird I know, but I was all alone up on this building the weather was perfect, the sky was breathtaking, and I just felt peace and reverence all at once.

That’s the best I can do to explain it.





From there we crossed over into Iowa where we would spend the night with J’s niece and her family. I haven’t seen them in almost 4 years. The last time was when I was in labor with Z, so the kids were all meeting for the first time. They made dinner and were very hospitable and unlike our hotel in Kansas city there were no problems with the AC.

2 comments:

nancy from ky said...

I'd like to see that memorial some time.

{amy} said...

The farmstead sounds like a neat place! Poor little fish who will never be able to watch 3D. :D I think I probably would've cried like you did (at the museum, not about the fish). That kind of stuff makes me emotional, too. Well, pretty much anything does, but what I'm trying to say is that I get it!