Thursday, July 7, 2011

What's Been Growing

It all began with a trip to the Library. J got a book called The Family Kitchen Garden and was inspired to plant the garden that he had already dreamt up in his mind.

We all planted the seeds together and I had no idea how much I would love the entire experience. It’s like opening a present on Christmas morning when you find a new blossom, bud, or food growing. The cilantro was the first to come up and was ready to harvest within about 3 weeks.


One by one more things starting ripening

and in less than 3 months we have been able to enjoy fresh

Cilantro

Green beans

Cucumbers (two different types)

Tomatoes

Bibb lettuce

Red Leaf Lettuce

Swiss Chard (My first time trying it. So delicious when cooked up with some oil and garlic)

Thyme

Dill

Green Onions (this was more like an onion fail, but we’re not giving up)

Basil

Mint

The only thing that we planted that never produced was peas.

We just recently planted a third garden and still have some of the original crop that is on the brink of ripening so we hopefully have all this to look forward to

Watermelon

Honeydew melon

Bell Peppers

Pablano peppers

Cherry Tomatoes

There are so many other thing we want to try and as newbie gardeners we always welcome advice and recommendations. What’s in your garden?

1 comment:

{amy} said...

It's great that you're able to grow so much! I wish I had room in my backyard for more stuff! Not only is it small, but I don't have a good amount of sunlight for most veggies & stuff. My blueberries have produced a pint (at most).