Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Farm Talk

In April I said we were making some “bold but exciting changes as a family” and this has included basically starting up our own tiny urban farm. It all kind of happened suddenly, and my life has changed in ways I would have never predicted. For those of you that were a part of the FFA in school I probably sound as pathetic as Paris Hilton on the simple life, but I can assure you it is not that bad! For example I know #4 is obvious, but you don't realize how wonderful the rain is until you have plants, and we are currently in drought like conditions. And as for #5 I have never actually said "OMG", but you get the idea. Anyway, the list; Here are ten things I would have NEVER said before this year.

  1. If you do not stop chasing the chickens we are going back inside!
    2. Alright, I want you kids to behave yourself while we are at the tractor supply store okay?

    3. I think we needed more dill for that brine, the pickles are a bit vinegary.

    4. I love the rain. It’s like free water.

    5. OMG! Is that the spring 2011 catalogue… of Irish eyes garden seeds.

    6. Dinner will be ready in a minute, I just need to go out back and pick some tomatoes and cilantro really quick.

    7. Would you mind helping me paint the chicks toenails?
    8. This salad would have probably cost 5 bucks if we hadn’t grown it ourselves, no make that $15 because it’s local and organic!

  1. "Do you have the thyme?" "Let’s make a dill." And other herbal jokes I torment my family with.

  1. All I need is a milking goat and I will be I’ll be set.

Somebody stop me if you find me saying "Time to get up farmer J. The rooster is crowing and I have high hopes that Bessie may be birthin' that calf before sundown "

For more top ten check out Oh Amanda and if you know anything about gardening, canning, or farming come by tomorrow because I just might need your help!

6 comments:

Miranda said...

Fantastic list! I have a special place in my heart for farmers because my daddy is one :). And seriously - yes about the rain. I always love the rain and am ecstatic when I see it's in the forecast.

Virginia Revoir said...

Haha! This post really made me laugh! lol.

Unfortunately I've lost 2 chickens because of the heat. When it cools off a bit I plan on starting another vegetable garden.

Kari Molter said...

I completely understand where you're coming from. I moved from Chicago where I worked on the 71st floor of a downtown skyscraper, to an organic farm and orchard. We have trees, we have chickens (and predators), we have hoop houses, we have tractors galore! Sometimes it's the most beautiful and amazing place on earth where I feel fulfilled and appreciated by the local community. And sometimes it's exhausting! Keep up your positive attitude, keep it simple and one step at a time ;)

#1 made me laugh. My niece came to visit last weekend and chicken chasing was her FAVORITE part of the visit.

{amy} said...

Ha ha! This list is great! And before this year, I never would've imagined you saying any of this!

nancy from ky said...

I believe I've heard all the Thyme jokes :)

nancy from ky said...

I believe I've heard all the Thyme jokes :)