Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Almost Heroic


Near the end of my first pregnancy I made a shirt that said "Super Mom" and I wore it home from the birth center after I had my son.
Since then I have found that it is a big title to live up to. Most of the time I feel like super would be the last word I would use to describe me as a mom, but at the same time I feel like I have developed some super hero like qualities since taking on this role. By the way, did you know that those nursing covers can second as a cape if you wear them backwards? It's true. I often flip my around after a feeding and run around like that in public without realizing I still have it on.

Here are my top ten mommy super hero traits, which is apart of Oh Amanda's Top Ten of course.

1. The Power To Endure High Pitched Sounds
Baby cries, and little girl screams for example.

2. Costume Changes At Rapid Speed
Super man in the phone booth has got nothing on me when I need to throw on some clothes and get out the door.

3. The Iron Stomach
I've tasted some baby food and changed some diapers that would make Iron Man himself want to hurl, but thanks to this power I can play it cool.

4. Speaking With The Eyes
It's like sending thoughts telepathically with just a stern look. This power can be used to reprimand children and spouses.

5. Go Go Gadget Arms
Whether it's stopping a glass from getting knocked off the counter or keeping a kid from running into the street there are many occasions I have to react as quickly as inspector gadget with my mom arms.

6. The Power To Not Care
I am still working on this super power, but I would like to put an invisible force field around my family when out in public that shield dirty looks or comments from people that maybe aren't used to children.

7. Smelling Power
The power of smell can be used to know when to change a baby's diapers, or if a food item is edible, or as a bath time indicator (for mom or the children).

8. Booming Voice Activator
You know the one "Get Over Here NOW."

9. Toe Skills
Being able to pick up objects with your feet while using hands to hold a baby and a laundry basket.

10. The Healing Kiss
When I became a mom I received a special power that allows me to kiss where it hurts and make it all better, this is by far my favorite super hero trait.


So what's yours?


7 comments:

Sheri said...

Those powers came in handy to me, as well, especially with three girls. Now I am Goddess of Electronics, since I can make them disappear at will with any hint of bad behavior.

ohAmanda said...

This is the BEST post EVER! I'm laughing right now!

I love the toe power! *snicker*

Anonymous said...

toe power is one of my specialties, and somewhat recently i honed my ability to read a book while the kids are buzzing all around me. :)

Eos Mom said...

Great post--you nailed it! The healing kiss is my favorite power as well. :-) (And I just used my toes the other day and marvelled at the things we moms do for our kids.)

{amy} said...

This was great! I never realized all of the super abilities that we acquire!!

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

Love this!

I'm definitely a master at costume changing at rapid speeds--ooh, and love the GoGo Gadget arms! That is the second time today I've seen a mom refer to Inspector Gadget.

Fantastic Post! Never thought of it all like this. :)

Anonymous said...

I love these! I would like some of that 'don't care' power too. I always think it's amazing how many people forget they too were children and not born as the adults that exist right now, now matter what they think.

Another power I've inherited as a mom is super hearing. I can hear my child 3 floors down or in the middle of the night when no one else can, including my husband (who seems to have developed wax build up since our kids were born).