Monday, July 12, 2010

I'm An Aunt

My brother and his wife had a baby a week ago which means I am an aunt. In my family we say aunt like it’s spelled not like the little bug. I know this is strange to my southern friends. I’ve tried to convert to saying "ant", but I still slip up from time to time.

The title of this post should probably say I am an aunt again, because I technically already had 15 nieces and nephews on my husbands side. In fact I am actually a great aunt. By great, I don’t mean that I am awesome, I mean that I have nieces and nephews that are older than me and have kids of their own. This is a photo of me last Christmas with some of my nieces.
So really the first time I became an aunt was when I married my husband who was the second youngest of 6 kids. His 4 older sisters started having kids of their own when he was just a young boy. This is most easily explained to people familiar with the movie Father of the Bride 2.
So, it’s complicated as always. I am still really excited to have a niece on my side of the family. It's exciting to see my big brother become a dad. Since we live so far apart I have yet to meet the baby, but I can’t wait.

It will be really special for SJ to have a cousin her age. They already have so much in common. They were both born in 2010, both of their moms and dads have the same first name, and they both got their mom’s middle name. It's confusing as always.

So I guess you could say my family is a little complicated and bit confusing, but really wonderful. I love being an aunt.


Do you say ant or aunt? Do you have any nieces and nephews older than you or maybe other complicated family dynamics like relatives with the same first name?

4 comments:

Crystal said...

I totally know what you mean!! My mom's younger sister and brother are fraternal twins, and her brother married a woman with the same name as his twin. And his name was already a family name- I have mulitple Uncles with the same name, and when I married my husband he has an aunt with the name of one of my sister's and his mom shares a name with another of my sisters plus he has an aunt & uncle with same names as my mine (the twins)!! Apparently we were destined to be together!! And most likely I will be naming my next child after one of my sister's- who happens to be marrying a guy with the boy name I want to use next (which is the name of another uncle of my husbands who passed away when he was young)!! It is so crazy!!

Anonymous said...

we say "ant". and i think you have one of the most "complicated" families i know of! ;) although my mom had some nephews that were/are just a few years younger than her, so that kind of put her in a similar boat. :)

{amy} said...

I say ant! I have a husband, uncle, step-brother, step-sister, step-cousin, & step-brother-in-law named Chris/Kris. Elly was born when her uncle was 8 months old, & he was already an uncle when he was born. We have all sorts of craziness when we include all the steps & halves!!

Nashville TV Show said...

Congrats!! How funny all the little scenarios in that post! Definitely crazy that you all share the same names:)