Friday, July 10, 2009

Aggressive Behavior

While I was busy volunteering for VBS Z was spending a lot of time in the church nursery. The very last night of VBS I went to pick him up and the nursery working told me it had been a rough week or him. No surprise there. I figured he would be a little out of sorts because of all the extra activities we had going on. Then she continued to tell me that he had be showing aggressive behavior. My response- GASP!

Was he hitting? I asked. Apparently he was hitting, along with biting, pulling hair, and knocking kids over. They had been putting him in time out as a consequence.

My boy? Really? I had a VERY difficult time receiving this information. I was not prepared to hear that I had a trouble maker. He isn't even 2 yet. Normally when I pick him up when someone watches him all I hear are rave reviews about how easy he is to take care of.

It was on the drive home that night that I had to let it sink in. At first I was emotional and discouraged, but when I finished my little pity party I realized I had a choice to make. I didn't want to be one of the parents that is disillusioned about having a perfect little angle all the while spoiling a child to become more and more of the teacher's nightmare. It had been a long week, and I don't think Z is destined to be tyrant, but we do have a situation on our hands and it's my job to teach him how to respect others. With that said if anyone has a toddler or child that exhibits this kind of behavior and has any advice about how to deal with it, I am open.

Let the parenting games begin.


3 comments:

{amy} said...

I am by no means an expert, but I always say that consistency & follow-through are the keys. And don't make empty threats (like, "if you misbehave in the nursery, then you're going to time out when we get home" but don't actually put him there). If you can get a handle on him at 2, it'll be way better down the road. Granted, mine are only 8 & 10, but they behave very well for everyone!

Also, find out what form of discipline really works for him (if you haven't already) & do that. Time outs don't work for everyone, & neither do spankings. For instance, I could've swatted Cody all day, & it wouldn't have made a difference. He really responded to time out, after he learned that he actually had to stay in the chair for the WHOLE 2 minutes, or we had to start over! But for Elly, taking away dessert was the worst thing ever!!

I didn't mean to write a book, but I hope some of this helps!

nurmisur said...

My baby is only 18 months old and I stay home with her, so I really don't have first hand advise to you.
I think Amy gave excelent advise.
There is only one thing, is he's behaviour so much diferent from the behaviour he has at home or when there aren't any other kids involved?
Can you find out the why he did it?
I think you're having a great attitude towards this and I'm sure you'll find out a way to solve the problem.

Zion said...

Thanks for the advice! I know I am not always the best at follow through. I will ask him over and over. Do you want to go in time out? and I am thinking to myself, why do I keep on asking him, just do it.

In answer to some of your questions I do know that he likes to play rough and I have been told that he never seems viscous when he does these things, but he just needs to learn not everyone wants to wrestle and play rough and it is not nice to do some of these things. He actually has been doing well since then. I think he just had nursery overload. Although, that is not to say that the problem is solved and we aren't continuing to work on it.