Thursday, July 2, 2009

I AM RICH!



This afternoon I felt like getting out of the house, so I filled up our blow up pool and Z and I spent part of the afternoon getting wet. I laid my head on one end of the pool and propped my feet up on the other and just enjoyed the moment. I felt like a queen hanging out with my little prince. I know a $10 inflatable pool from Wal-Mart isn’t exactly what comes to mind when you think of royalty, but the point is that we are very fortunate. When you think about the fact that millions of people do not have access to safe water it seems extravagant to be dumping gallons into a kiddie pool. I am not saying I feel bad about having clean water or allowing my son to play in it when it is 100 degrees outside. What I AM saying is that I am grateful for it.

My grandpa always sends out a lot of email forwards... everyday. Some are political, some are funny, and most are never read by me. However I did see one the other day that somehow finagled it's way through without getting deleted. I don't remember it word for word, but it went something like this:

"I am grateful for driving in bumper to bumper traffic, because it means that I have a car."
"I am grateful for a boss looking over my shoulder because it means that I have a job."
"I am grateful for having to do housework because it means I have a house."

You get the idea and can add your own like "I am grateful for tons of ridiculous forwards from grandpa because it means I have a computer".

The truth is we are all rich. I may not know you personally, but if you are reading this you have access to the internet, which makes you rich compared to most of the world. I hate saying it that way because it might be motivation to get us to stop taking things for granted, but we shouldn't have to compare ourselves to impoverished countries in order to feel privileged. If suddenly everyone that was hungry no longer was in need, would that make the rest of us any less blessed?

Usually when you hear spiels about the wealth of America it is a guilt trip about how selfish we all are. My intent however is to see the abundance around us and acknowledge that as a nation we are TRULY BLESSED.




FILL IN THE BLANK: I AM GRATEFUL FOR _______________________ (insert something that annoys you) BECAUSE IT MEANS I HAVE _______________________ (look on the bright side of what it is you are griping about).

4 comments:

Michele R said...

I have thought about this too and the internet comment too very recently. I am grateful for my love handles because I didn't always have them, I am still alive, and I have food to eat every day!

Anonymous said...

I am grateful for going to work because I have a job.
N.L.W.

Erin Myers said...

I am grateful for the pinched nerve in my neck because it means im alive. lol seems like currently thats my only gripe :/

Zion said...

Yeah, I relate to the love handles and Erin that is actually good if that is your only gripe I guess that is something to be grateful for in and of itself.