Friday, July 3, 2009

Traditions


We live in a society where we are constantly being bombarded with what are considered the hottest trends. Our mobile devices, computers, and televisions are giving us instant updates on all the latest gossip. It's non stop coverage of Jon and Kate plus 8, then all of the sudden Michael Jackson dies and then that's all we hear about. We twitter it, we blog it, and we text it, then we take a break to go shopping only to find out that all the one piece swimsuits now have holes on the sides and are called monokinis!

"and how do we keep our balance? That I can tell you in one word- TRADITION!" I stole that line from Fiddler on the Roof, but it is seems to be true. There is just something comforting about traditions, customs, and holidays. It's a chance to take a break from whatever the new thing is to just enjoy the old thing. In this pop culture, consumerist era, it seems like there is very little opportunity for old world tradition. Maybe that is one reason I like being in the wedding industry, because weddings are full of traditions.

This is also the reason I like the 4th of July so much because it is an American tradition. For my family this tradition includes getting together at my in laws house where you can still legally set off fireworks . There is an unspoken competition between all of the neighbors there to see who puts on the best fireworks display. So that is what I will be doing tomorrow, eating hot dogs, seeing family from out of town, watching the little kids play with sparklers, watching the men play with the "big sparklers". That's tradition, it's the same old thing year after year and yet somehow the same old thing never seems to get old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like parades and fireworks and all that stuff. Even seeing the flier flies at this time of year brings back great memories of the 4 of July and the celebration. Working at an airport brings a new sentimentality. I get to see many of our armed forces going home to be with loved ones for this and many other holidays. It brings extra meaning to the day.
N.L.W.

Daddy-O said...

It's funny because I was thinking about this over the holiday weekend also.

All my adult life I remember my pastor sharing crazy family traditions. One that stands out is every year as a child his uncle would save up old cotton socks and tightly bind them in a ball. On family get togethers he would soak them in Kerosene then light them on fire and the men would get in a circle and play "hot potato."

This year in an effort to save money, the church didn't have a big fireworks display as in years past, but just a simple cookout. Pastor brought a cotton ball like he had shared so many times before and lit it on fire and I was amazed that immediately several men jumped in a circle and started playing. It thrilled me to see that in today;s society you can still have inexpensive old-fashion fun. I enjoyed it more than fireworks. :-)