Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Church, Church, and More Church

I am pushing a week without blogging so I thought it would be good to check in. It's been a busy week and I have been at the church/coffee bar everyday. Our youth group girls had a conference this weekend. It was amazing. Lives were touched. I had to step out of my comfort zone on a couple occasions including leading worship and speaking.


Leading worship is totally different than being on the worship team. J (who is our worship leader) does not plan and rehears everything. He does prepare a list of songs, which we will go over ahead of time, but even that is subject to change. So it was up to me to orchestrate these two songs without being able to play an instrument. I wanted to tell the band just to go through verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus close. That would be my structured safety zone, but J blows it to bits with his open ended go with the flow approach. I love him for that. I have a lot to learn.

I also spoke for the second time in a month. I am not a public speaker, but apparently God is bringing me into new areas of leadership. The first time I spoke was for the women's ministry and I taught about fear. This last time was for the youth girls and I shared some of my testimony about overcoming body imaging issues. Both times I was able to use my blog as a reference because I had previously written something that was appropriate for the given topic. I even shared with the girls about how blogging, poetry, or other creative outlets are a great way to deal with some emotional issues. That is why even though I may have fallen off of the band wagon a bit with my consistency or content for messy mom I am not about to abandon my passion for blogging. I think it helps keep my mind from being overtaken by children's songs and task lists!

So, that is what has been going on with me. I am looking forward to the holidays even if it does cost me what little is left of my sanity.

The photo is of the Revive 2010 girls. I am the one in the yellow shirt furthest to the left in the second row. I was trying to think of something goofy to do.

1 comment:

{amy} said...

Aw, I miss having J as a worship leader! Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone! I completely agree with you on the whole blogging thing, though I still seem to be overtaken by children's songs (just a little older children's songs these days)!