Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My First Song


I like to consider myself poet and my husband is the musician. When we got married I wrote a poem for J and surprised him with it at our wedding. He also had surprise up his sleeve and in the middle of the ceremony he played me a song he had written.

A few months ago I got inspired to write another love poem and then later I realized that J would be working open mic night at the Lighthouse coffee bar on our anniversary. I planned on reading the poem, but no matter how hard I tried to rehears it it seemed to take on a melody of it's own and I could help but sing! That is how my poem became a song. So I enlisted my friend (the great cake maker) to help me out on the guitar and we practiced secretly in the weeks leading up to our reveal. It was our first open mic performance and we were both a little nervous, but J loved it and it gave me a chance to step out of my comfort zone and try something new. It's a simple, silly little song, but it fits our relationship well.

I am linking up with try new adventures Thursday at Alicia's Homemaking because writing a song and performing live was definitely a new adventure for me!

4 comments:

Alicia said...

How awesome! I know that must have been super special for your hubby! My mom wrote a song for my dad and for days he would go around singing the first line of the chorus...half joking...but it told all of us that it really meant a lot to him. :D

Eos Mom said...

Wow, very brave and super romantic! Way to go!

{amy} said...

I love your song! Too cute!! I remember the song from your wedding ~ my mister played bass :)

Mels said...

So this comment is a couple years late, but why are we not hearing "I Love You Like Crazy" all over the radio waves by now???!? You should write more songs:).