Tuesday, November 23, 2010

LIFE

Today I am thankful for life.

J had officiated his first funeral tonight. Last year he did his first wedding and this year was his first funeral. We didn't really know the man that passed away, although J did visit him at the hospital when it was close to the end and he was asked if he could lead the service since our pastor is out of town this week.

This is the same week that our church celebrated Granny's 90th birthday.
This photo is when she was 86, but she still looks just as beautiful


She is actually my friend's grandma, but she has always loved me and many others as though we were a part of the family and since I have never had a grandmother of my own (they both died before I was born) she has me call her Granny. The celebration on Sunday was truly wonderful. Granny was publicly honored and if anyone deserves that, it would be her. She has blessed me in so many ways in the years that I have known her. One day she told me "when I see a pretty dress, I think of you." It's one of the nicest compliments I have ever received. She has asked me to sing a special hymn at her funeral and requested that I sing it church sometime while she is still around (which I did!) Afterward she thanked me with a sweet letter that she sent in the mail. There is nothing like getting a letter in the mail these days. I hope it will be a long time before I ever have the honor of singing that hymn, knowing Granny and how spunky and full of life she is I think it will be.

2 comments:

Michele R said...

You sure do have a lot of loving people in your life, which says so much about you and your adorbs family of 4. happy Thanksgiving!
My Nana will be 90 next year.

{amy} said...

I'd much rather go to the weddings that my mister officiates than the funerals! Have I ever told you about how I've referred to my mister's first wedding? It's not really worthy of a MISseries post, but it's still kinda funny. I've said something along the lines of, "At his first wedding, the bride was 9 months pregnant & the best man was a woman..." It's all true, but it has been mistakenly understood as my mister's first marriage! Oops!

Heidi is definitely deserving of such a wonderful celebration for her birthday! She has been special to me (I know, & everyone else!) for SO long! Isn't it awesome that she sends stuff in the mail? That's a lost art, I think. I have been the recipient of a sweet card from her (and some from Sharon, too ~ they're all awesome ~ you, too, Hannah if you happen to read this!!) I hope you don't sing that hymn for a long time, too. She is so cool! I sent her a birthday email ('cuz I need a better system to actually get cards in the mail on time), and when she responded, I saw the line, "Sent from my iPad". LOVE IT!!

{Sorry for the long comment! At least we both do it, so I don't feel TOO bad!!} :)