Thursday, March 24, 2011

"Cincinatalie" Chili

I am originally from Cincinnati (Covington actually) and my nick name was cinci-natalie. I grew up with Skyline and Gold Star chili parlors around every corner. Eating chili with mounds of cheese over spaghetti is a common meal up there. So when I saw that All You magazine had a recipe for this dish I added it to our freezer menu, and it uses a crock pot, so it could be a hit for all you slow cooker fans out there too.

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • Salt
  • 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
  • 2 onions, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (this is the secret ingredient if you ask me)
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Preparation

1. In a large skillet, cook ground beef and 1 tsp. salt over medium-high heat, breaking up beef with a spoon, until meat loses its pink color, about 8 minutes. Drain excess fat from pan.

2. Add meat to slow cooker along with 2 cups water, tomato paste, onions, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon, allspice and cayenne pepper. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours. Add beans and cook 1 hour more, stirring in an additional 1/2 cup water if chili looks dry. Season with salt.

For the freezer version I left out the beans and added them after it was thawed, then I reheated it and served it with spaghetti and cheese. It was SJ's first time having spaghetti.
The kids love it, there were plenty of leftovers and it cost approximately $1 per serving.


Today I am linking up with frugal food Thursdays over at frugal follies.

4 comments:

Erynne Nicole said...

Oh!!! That looks Yummy!!! It also makes me very hungry to look at it haha!

{amy} said...

I've never heard of chili over spaghetti! I'll have to try that some time! It sounds delicious {& inexpensive!!}

Anonymous said...

glad to hear the Chili Spaghetti was good. SJ is too cute.
N.L.W.

Mom2fur said...

I've never had Cincinnati Chili (Cincinatalie--love it!) but it looks goooood. My family is originally from Ohio (Zanesville) and my mom lives in Columbus. I'm the first NY-er in the family.
Glad you liked my socks! Regarding the twice-baked potatoes, I had some in the freezer for almost a year and they still cooked up great. BTW, here's a tip: don't cut them in half. Cut a 'cap' off the top, then just put it back on when you freeze it. (I wrap them individually.) The bigger bottom makes it easier to stuff them. And who only eats a half a potato, anyway?