Monday, December 29, 2008

City of the Month #4: Cincinnati



December has just flown by, it's almost over and I have yet to feature a city of the month. They say there is no place like home for the holidays and for me home is Cincinnati. That is why it only seems fitting to have this month's city be Cincinnati. There are 7 people in my family and I asked each one of them to share their favorite thing about the area. Therefor I have compiled a list of my top 7 favorite things to do, eat, or see around the Cincy area.

1. Cincinnati chili - Cincinnati has more than 180 chili parlors, making it the chili capital of the nation and quite possibly the world. If you aren't from the area than you might be surprised by the unique flavor and the mounds of shredded cheese that accompany it. Give it a try and you might just be hooked for life.

2. Union Terminal- The architecture alone is a must see. This 1930's railroad terminal building is now a museum center which includes an omnimax theater.

3. Graeter's Ice cream- The oldest continuous ice cream maker in the country. Endorsed by Oprah, and me (and everyone knows I am an ice cream connoisseur.)

4. Fountain square - The heart of Cincinnati. As a photographer some of my favorite shots where taken in Fountain Square. I love to go year after year to visit the outdoor skating rink that opens up every winter.

5. Sawyer Point- This mile long riverfront park is alongside the shore of the Ohio river. It's entirely free and open year round, but my fondest memories are playing in the water at the serpentine wall on a hot summer day.

6. Purple People Bridge - It is a one of a kind pedestrian only bridge that allows people to cross over the Ohio river from Ohio to Kentucky. It got it's name because it's a purple bridge for people. Although the official name is the Newport Southbank Bridge, it just doesn't have the same ring to it, so it never caught on.

7. Sports- Although I am not the most athletic I know how to route for the home team, and that would be the Cincinnati Reds in the Great American Ballpark stadium or if you are more a football fan you can see the Bengal's at the Paul Brown Stadium.

There is so much more, but it's the kind of thing you have to see for yourself. This is just a glimpse of my hometown Cincinnatalie, I mean, Cincinnati.

No comments: