Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Look Back and Laugh: Airport

My brother just flew back to Kentucky yesterday. We have a toll tag now so we can just go straight through without stopping, but this wasn't always the case. You drive up to the toll booth, take a ticket and then on your way out of the airport you give them your ticket and they charge you accordingly. This particular time I was planning on paying about a dollar. As I drove up I forgot about the ticket and handed him the dollar. The gentleman in the booth kindly asked me for my ticket.

"Oh yeah, duh. How silly of me" I said as and I reached over to the passenger seat to grab my ticket, but it wasn't there. I smiled and scanned over the dashboard searching for this little piece of paper, but it was still no where to be found. I couldn't believe it would be this difficult. I asked the man what happens if you don't have a ticket and he told me it would be $20.00.
Oh my, I thought and I began frantically searching throughout the car and dumping out my purse looking for the ticket.

"Oh ticket, COME OUT COME OUT WHERE EVER YOU ARE" I began to get nervous
The man could sense my anxiety and he encouraged me "calm down, take your time. Just find your ticket." The more I searched the more cars piled up behind me and I began to really loose my cool. Does this guy now how much $20 is?

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND I DIDN'T EVEN GET OUT OF THE CAR! WHAT THE HECK! THIS IS CRAZY" I think the crease in my forehead was becoming a permanent indentation and beads of sweat began to roll down my face as I went from being worried to a full fledge panic attack. The man graciously flagged me on and lifted the electronic arm so that I could go through.
" Thank you. Thank you. Thank you." I responded like as though I were detainee that had just been released from prison for some horrendous crime.
"Go ahead, just go..." he quickly replied, because there is nothing like being stuck watching a penny pinching mom that refuses to give up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

boy, i bet they've seen all kinds of people pass by their booths - i'm sure you were the least of his worries in that type of situation. :)