Monday, December 22, 2008

The Most Memorable Christmas



As I look back over the years there are some Christmases that I don’t remember at all, while others are forever ingrained in my mind. For my family we will always remember the last Christmas we had with my little brother.

I have shared stories before about my little brother and his battle with Leukemia. For years he was in and out of the hospital. This particular winter he was there exclusively. When it snowed we brought it to him in a Tupperware container so that he could enjoy some of it too. For Christmas our family of six piled in the tiny hospital room full of presents and our attempts at decorations. I remember getting a life size doll that year. By life size I mean she was probably 3 feet tall. When you are little good things do not come in small packages no matter what anyone tries to convince you. So you can image I was thrilled to see this gigantic present all wrapped up with my name on it!

It might not seem like the picture perfect Christmas. My parents finances were stretched to the limits and we were barely getting by, we were away from home, our youngest family member had a terminal illness, but somehow that is the Christmas that we all look back on and agree was our favorite Christmas as a whole. We had the gift of time, precious time as a family. It didn't matter if there were fluorescent lights instead of a fireplace, or doctors and nurses instead of grandparents and cousins. It was our last family Christmas all together and there were no disappointments because we cherished it in that moment not knowing what the future would bring and we still cherish it today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sad story.

Everyone looks so happy in the picture, especially your little brother.