Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Look Back and Laugh: Gift Exchange

The Ladies Christmas party at our church is something that I look forward to every year. This year they announced that we would be having a white elephant gift exchange. To me this equates to "gag" gift. My mind was reeling with ideas about what I could bring. I imagined what all the other women would come up with and how much we would all be laughing when we opened them.

The night of the party the presents were divvied out amongst the 30 women and on the count of 3 everyone tore into their packages. I got some St. Nicholas square appetizer plates that were still in the box. They didn't seem very funny to me and as I looked around the room at all the other gifts every single one of them was some kind of nice home interior piece, or Christmas decoration. No gag gifts whatsoever. I was so confused, but most importantly I thought about the recipient of my present.

Then I spotted a women around my mom's age cocking her head with a gift bag that including a Tae Bo video accompanied by some Zip Fizz energy powder. Yeah, that would be my gift. I felt so bad for her that I went over to offer her the appetizer plates that I received. Without any explanation I said "Here, I will trade you. Take my gift, I insist." She declined the offer because THAT WAS THE GIFT THAT SHE BROUGHT. What are the odds?

I wish I could say that at least we got some good laughs out of it, only it wasn't funny to her at all. I pulled some strings (I've got connections) and I got her a different gift that she could get more enjoyment out of. Although I don't know what could be more enjoyable than watching a sweaty bald guy in spandex.


1 comment:

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Thanks for the good laugh (and hey, I have a TON of those BB Tae Bo workout tapes/dvds!). We had a similar experience THIS YEAR (we being my 13 year old daughter mostly). Her sewing club decided to have a white elephant gift exchange. Think teen girls (well, ages 10-14). So, we thought gag gifts, too. My 13 year old went nuts with this, having never heard of it before. She put a LOT of stuff in a gift bag from broken pencils to wadded up kleenex, maxi pads (not used, of course), among a million other similar things....but everyone else had gifts that were nice, but gently used. OOPS! She DID have some cute nice stuff in there along with a bunch of candy, but you had to dig through everything else to get to it!!! :-/