Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Look Back and Laugh: Christmas Breakups

I don't know how, but when I was in High School it seemed like I was always going through some kind of break up just before Christmas. More than once I exchanged Christmas gifts with EX boyfriends just to be civil. It's quite the sob story.

My Junior year was the worst! I met with my "ex" at his house to give each other the gifts we had already bought before the breakup . All of his friends were there to witness the awkward rendezvous, so that was nice. Not really.

We unwrapped the gifts. I got him a Good Fellows poster and he gave me a watch. Then he handed me a stuffed frog that sang Christmas songs. It was really cute. We quickly thanked each other and said our goodbyes. I walked out to my car by myself in the cold. It was pretty pathetic, but then out of nowhere I heard him call my name.

He had come back. Did he want to give me a proper goodbye away from his friends? Had he changed his mind about that freshman girl and realized that he never should have dumped me? What could he possible have to say?

As he approached me the words that he said hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Can I have the frog back?" he said. "My grandma gave it to me for Christmas? I was just showing it to you."

WHAT!? Why didn't you tell me that? Why did you just hand it to me as part of our gift exchange? All of these thoughts were flooding my mind as I willing handed over the stupid, ugly, frog. Eventually my face would return to it's natural color after turning such a deep shad of red from the embarrassment of it all. Oh well, I guess that's what I get for dating such a poor communicator.

No comments: