Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pumped About Breastfeeding

I have a few things going on this week that I have had to pump milk for so you will have to excuse the pun. In case you haven't heard it's world breastfeeding week and it's gotten me all revved up. I even went to a breastfeeding brunch at the local WIC office. They gave out prizes and goodie bags and they had these little cards inside which gave some info about nursing in public which I thought was encouraging.


I used to be a little freaked out about breastfeeding. My mom breastfed all 4 of us kids, but I don't remember and was never really exposed to it at all. In fact one of my first encounters with breastfeeding that I can remember was with my friend Amy. She breastfed both of her kids. We were playing games one night with a bunch of people from church and she asked if anyone in the room would be offended if she fed her baby. A young man who was about to go into the marines almost fainted and ran out of the room. Years later Amy was talking about breastfeeding with some other moms and expressed her affection towards her children and how it was such a tender wonderful act that she has fond memories of. As a young newlywed I almost reacted the same as the marine. I kind of knew that breastfeeding was good nutrition, but I thought of it as an act of duty that I would do as little as possible and for her to describe it as sweet was GROSS to me.

I currently exclusively breastfeed my 5 month old, and my son was breastfed until 15 months and skipping over all the disclaimers I can say that it is a beautiful wonderful thing. Thank you Amy for being a positive example. I hope that in the future nourishing our babies will not be so controversial and that I can be a part of that movement.


This week I have come across so many great resources on breastfeeding here are a few-

Amy (a different one than mentioned above) did a whole series this week
www.amysfinerthings.com

Amanda was a reluctant breastfeeder. I related to her story SO much.
www.ohamanda.com

Every Ounce Counts is an awesome campaign and there are some cool resources on this page, like a free lullaby music!
www.breastmilkcounts.com

Even I posted about breastfeeding not that long ago.
www.themessymom.com/breastfeeding

and with all these links I am going to link up once more to Its Come 2 This.com Saturday Stumbles. Check it out!

4 comments:

Nashville TV Show said...

Great links!! Amy's done a great job this week with her series! Thanks for linking up & thanks for sharing:)

{amy} said...

Ha ha! I never knew how you felt about that incident until now!! & I will never forget how he reacted! :D Seriously, had I just fed Cody & not said anything out loud, I'm sure he never would've even known! I was never judgmental towards women who didn't breastfeed, but I was definitely an advocate of doing it! & I hated the fact that people felt it should be done in the bathroom! The bathroom?! Would you want in eat in there?!

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious! I love it! Here is the strange thing.... I am a labor and delivery nurse, who is starting a L&D/mommy blog and I spent a couple hours today blogging about breastfeeding and I DIDNT EVEN KNOW ABOUT THE WEEK LONG HOLIDAY! Now that is weird and sad all in the same lol! Love your blog and will be following. Check out my brand spanking new blog at Blameitonthestork.com! Thanks for the post :)

Blame It On The Stork said...

This is a great post! What is strange all in itself is I am a Labor & Delivery nurse who is starting a L&D/mommy blog and spent a couple of hours today blogging about breastfeeding and I DIDNT EVEN KNOW IT WAS NATIONAL BREASTFEEDING WEEK! Weird and sad all in the same:) Love your blog and will be following. Check out my brand spanking new blog at blameitonthestork.com :)