Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Flying With A "Lap Baby"


Any child under the age of two is not required to have a ticket on an aircraft and can therefor fly for free as a lap baby.

As of this month my toddler has been on 6 flights. This includes when he was six months, 11 months, and 20 months.
I thought I would share some of the things I have learned about this seemingly overwhelming experience.

Ticket- Even though there is no ticket, you will still want to notify your ticketing agent that you are flying with an infant. This will be necessary for security purposes and where you will be able to be seated on the plane.

Restraint- Whether it be a sling or harness, I wouldn't dare be in an airport without having my child physically attached to me in someway. I know "child leashes" have such a stigma about them and I used to make fun of stuff like that, but that was before I had a quick and curious little toddler. If this harness keeps my son from jerking himself out of my hands and falling down an escalator, or running in front of a car, or being kidnapped then I couldn't care less what other people may think. So, we bought this cute Eddie Bauer one from Target for $12.00 for when we travel.



Bottles- You are not allowed to have liquid on the plane, with the exception of milk bottles. They will have to swab them when you go through security, but you have the right to bring bottles with you when you travel. If you are breast feeding then that is another thing that you have every right to do in the airport and on the plane and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Giving your baby a bottle during take off and landing will reduce the pressure on their ears and make the flight go "smoother" for everyone.

Car Seat- If you don't have a ticket you won't be guaranteed a seat, but that doesn't mean that you won't get one. If there are empty seats that are available you may want to use a car seat. The FAA mentions 16 inches as the maximum width so that it will fit most airline seats. Car seats are definitely the safest way to fly, and might be more comfortable, but If you know your kid does horrible in the car seat and it will only make matters worse, well then check it before you board.

Those are just a few of the travel tips that I have, of course there are many others like bringing toys, letting your child get all their energy out before boarding, flying during the none peak times. It is going to be different for everybody, but these are just some of the things that have worked for me. Most importantly (and this is a hard one) just try and relax, people are far more understanding than I ever expected.



Check more Works For Me Wednsday posts at We are that family

The photo above is of Z on his first flight, it was just him and I. He had an airplane pacifier.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

All this information is great for anyone traveling. I am kind of bummed my daughter is over 2 now. The cost for a ticket is so insane these days but it is nice knowing the carseat is going on the plane for sure.

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

We're flying with my daughter in a month - she'll be 20 months then - and I'm SO NERVOUS! I didn't know you can't bring ANY liquid on a flight! Well, I guess I did, but I didn't think about it in regard to her sippy cup. I'm not sure she'll take a bottle. Thanks for the tips!

Amy said...

Great info! We have done a LOT of flying with our kids, domestic and international, and I've also had to learn some of this stuff the hard way. :)

I've found that I've been able to take sippy cups on the plane with minimal fuss. But maybe I just got lucky? I'd try it anyway and see if they let it slide. You can always dump it out if you have to. I also take medicine on board (baby Tylenol, etc.) with no problem.

Oh--and one thing that is helpful for longer flights! Little treats or presents strategically spaced out during the flight. And for some reason, it helps to gift wrap them. My kids will seriously play with something longer if it was wrapped. Go figure!

Kara said...

We're flying with our son this summer for the first time. The leash is a great idea, and also the wrapped toys (from another commenter). I need to start making a list...