Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Look Back and Laugh: "Homestar Runner. It's dot com."

This week I am talking about online celebrities or you could also call them internet prodigies. So instead of sharing a funny story from my past I will share a funny website that I used to frequent in the past when I wanted to get a good brainless laugh (as opposed to the other kind of laugh that takes a lot of forethought). 

Homestar Runner was created by two brothers from Georgia who wanted to practice their graphic skills and came up with a website called homestarrunner.com.They shared their off the wall online cartoons with friends, who loved it and told all their friends. One thing lead to another and over time this fun little project became a full time gig. 

They make money by selling Homestar branded merchandise. The couple of the times I have spotted a random stranger wearing something that came from the site I felt some kind of instant inner camaraderie. Without saying anything I could just  look at them and be like, "Strongbad, yeah".

Homestar runner gets over a million unique visitors a month and has been featured in Wired Magazine and on NPR's All Things Considered. Not too bad for a couple of guys messing around with flash. I love to hear small town success stories. Go Homestar. 

3 comments:

Chuck & Chels said...

oh big flash back to my college days- sitting in my dorm watching strongbad emails one after the other.

Crystal @ The Thrifty Mama said...

Flashbacking here too. I was a big-time Strongbad Email watcher in College! Thanks for the chuckle.

Do they really only get 1,000 visitors a month though? Seems like it would be more.

Zion said...

Yes Crystal you are right, I totally didn't catch that seeing as I wrote this a 1:00 am, that should be million... that is funny that I put over thousand because it's true, except it's WAY over a thousand. Thanks for catching it, it's been modified.