Friday, May 15, 2009

"People Need Volley Ball Now More Than Ever"


The Office Season 5 finale aired last night. I just now watched it online because I was at a hoedown last night. I will share more about that next week. As for anyone that has not yet seen the finale and wants to catch it on DVR, nbc.com, or good ol' VHS recording, well then I guess a spoiler alert is in order.

The show started with Michael Scott napping at work while all the office employees set his clocks ahead several hours so that when he woke up it would be 5:00 and they could leave early. I had some students do something like this to me once when I was a substitute teacher. I guess I was to teaching what Michael Scott is to supervising.

The next scene is the Dunder Mifflin Company picnic, where there were plenty of opportunities for Michael to put his foot in his mouth as usual. The awkward moments practically set off my gag reflex, and sometimes I have to remind myself that I CHOOSE to watch this show, and I can stop at anytime.

Fastforward to the end where Pam who has a minor ankle injury is at the ER with Jim. The nurse rattles off a bunch of questions before Pam gets X Rayed, one of which was 'are you pregnant?'. Of course from that moment we all knew that she was or they wouldn't have even brought it up in the script. They call Jim into the examining room and even though there is no audio we do find out that Jim and Pam are expecting.

Truth be told I am growing bit weary of The Office. It feels like the mediocre episodes are starting to be more frequent and now with Jim and Pam pregnant the show could be running out of redeeming story lines. I believe it is what they call "jumping the shark"? Or maybe that's just me.

2 comments:

Michele R said...

I will always love the Office no matter what happens with the stories. Last week, however, was one of the best ever (with the casual Fridays). I am off to read the review on EW. People leave comments about the sublteties they noticed so I always get a laugh the next day too. One of our best purchases was seasons 1 and 2 on dvd to catch up with the show as I am a late fan.

Becky said...

I don't watch the Office, but I wanted to say that "I was at a hoedown" is my new excuse for missing anything.