Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Was Wrong

As far as what I said on Monday about if I were to bet money on Dancing With The stars I am glad that I didn’t because I was WRONG. I was wrong on so many levels. First of all we did not have a gold medal Olympic champion win last year like I had thought. That was Kristi Yamaguchi and it turns out that was 2 years ago. So I guess the voters were ready for another Olympic gold medalists to win because Shawn Johnson came in first place as Dancing Queen, followed by sexy foreign guy in second place, and the bachelor reject in third.

I am not thrilled with the results although, I am sure that I will be over it by the time I am done typing this blog. It just doesn’t seem cool to have someone that is the best in the world at a sport that involves, flexibility, timing, rhythm, and routines set to MUSIC to be competing against professions like actors, bull riders and football players. To me it’s like the highest ranking marine competing on an obstacle course against 8 year old boy scouts and then being shocked that they won. Can you picture it? Well, don't worry I found a couple visuals to help demonstrate.

Olympic gold medalists: “I can’t believe I won, I know I have competed against people who gave up their whole lives to be in the Olympics, but still, this is a reality show! Who would have that that little ol' me could learn how to dance?”


The other dancers: “I had fun and I learned a lot that is all that matters!


Okay, as promised I am over it and this concludes my series on the 2009 TV finales.


3 comments:

Lexi said...

She may have a routine set to music, but never does she have to keep time...gymnastics is not about that. The only routine even done to music is the floor routine and the only direction you have is "lets make sure we do a tumbling pass here...where the music builds". I was a gymnast (in the loosest definition of the word). And let me tell you I cannot dance a bit. I cannot keep time. My specialty was balance beam. That is about precision, grace, agility, flexibility, balance, etc. None of which I relate to performing a swing, hip hop, or tango dance. I always had great form: could keep my legs straight, toes pointed, etc. I was told I could be a good ballerina...possibly if the ballerina never had to do anything fast!! I was SO slow at everything being sure to accomplish each skill with grace and perfection, because none of our routines were timed.

So even though she is a gymnast, that doesn't automatically, make her a dancer. Besides form and flexibility they really don't have as much in common as you think. I would have been voted off in the first round, but then again...I am no Gold medal Olympian either :) But, maybe she took dance lessons as a child too and had already mastered both, I don’t know!!

I don’t think Melissa; the bachelor reject should have even been on the show…I thought this was dancing with the stars?? What about her is a star? And she was a former Dallas Cowboy cheerleader (or so I am told), so she had already had dance training…

Those are my opinions. I would have voted for Gilles (is that how you spell that), because he was the most improved and crazy talented. While I think Shawn is an awesome gymnast, she did a little too many tumbling passes in what is a DANCE competition. I still like her though and I suppose I am glad she won.

This is a crazy long comment, sorry! Anyways, you left me a comment the other day on my blog with a “shh” and I never heard any results from that…email me!! Have an awesome Memorial Weekend!!

Zion said...

Lexi,
I take it you watch the show? Here is a crazy long response to your "crazy long comment"

First: Thank you for clearing that up. I was referring to the floor exercise which I did assume had to do with precise movement and timing, but now I know. Still, what about figure skating? Can I hold a grudge against Kristi Yamaguchi? Because it seems an awful lot like dancing on skates.

Second: You are totally right about Melissa having dancing training, but didn't you know that anyone that is ever on TV for any reason is a star? (ha ha)

Third: I am not sure how to spell Gille that is why I call him sexy foreign guy.

That's all and I will email you about the rest. :)

Lexi said...

Um, I was an occasional watcher...I didn't watch every episode and I hope I didn't sound like I was being rude. Not my intent.

I do think figure skating is a lot like dancing, although I am a master at neither so maybe my input doesn't count ;) I think it was kinda rigged when she (Kristi)won for sure! Although I didn't watch that season at all.

I mostly watched this season to laugh at Steve-O because he was a ridiculously horrible dancer and it always cracked me up to see his partner dance circles around him :) He did put forth much effort though and I commend him for that. Although his last routine before being cut made me seriously laugh because he did so many arm motions (arm straight up, arm out to the side) and that seemed like it! I had to rewind it so Chris could see that one :)

Haha...so you mean that crazy "Bubba" character who they interviewed the other day on the news is now famous?! What is this world coming to ;) Reality TV stars just aren't really stars in my opinion, at least not until they succeed at something else. Like Heidi and Spencer...WHO CARES, already?! They are on every gossip blurb from here to China.

And I like "sexy foreign guy". I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't know how to spell his name :)