Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Look Back and Laugh: Runway Models and Me

The great thing about thrift store shopping is that there are no sales clerks harassing you, no mannequins or catalogues telling you how you should dress or what you should look like. Let’s be honest though, it’s also a little scary. The lack of direction could mean trouble .



Tip #2 Walking into a thrift store and seeing all the horrible atrocities that they have to offer can be overwhelming. Try window shopping at the mall or check out magazines for the latest trends of the season. Then make a note of what you already have in your closet. This way it's easier to spot the gems amidst the garbage. In short, ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN WHEN SHOPPING SECOND HAND.

I really don’t take my clothes that seriously and I want to be myself, but I also like to know what’s out there. When I was doing a little investigating for my summer fashion week, I came across this photo on Elle.com and it caught my attention for two reasons.

1. This runway model is smiling
2. Her stomach is shaped like a balloon.

In my opinion, if an outfit can make a 90 lb anorexic runway model look fat I would steer clear of it. Or maybe she just ate a large lunch and is bloated, that would also answer the question of why she is smiling.

I am kidding of course. Sometimes I just can't help but laugh at the fashion industry or myself.




The first photo was taken of my mother and I back in 2001. We were thrift store shopping in Kentucky and I really don't remember what happened.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember, LOL.
N.L.W.