Thursday, June 4, 2009

Shorts

What a hot topic! What shorts are in style this summer? What is too short? What is age appropriate? What fits your body type?

When I found these American eagle shorts at the thrift store they were shorter than what I would normally wear, but they certainly aren't daisy dukes. I really wanted something semi short to complement some of my longer shirts, so I took a chance. I wouldn't wear this outfit just anywhere, but it would be suitable for family gatherings, pool parties, and other casual outdoor settings.

I know that shorts (above the knees) aren't for everyone. You have to know your body and what you are comfortable with. For me I consider my legs an asset. My stomach however is a different story. I gain all my weight in the middle. That's why I wear a lot of looser shirts to avoid showing off my love handles/muffin top.

Tip # 4: Extreme lengths are really big right now. Super long dresses, long shorts, and long shirts are all the rage. All of these looks can be really cute, but you have to balance it out. If you want a jacket to wear with a maxi dress pick something really short and form fitting so that you don't like you are swimming in fabric. Walking shorts can be so flattering, but when worn with a shirt that reaches well bellow the waist it makes anyone look short and disproportionate.


I know that I am not a teenager anymore and there are some strong opinions on shorts out there, but this is Texas. The reality is as long as live where the weather is over 90 degrees all summer long no one can convince me to give up my shorts!

3 comments:

Michele R said...

The outfit looks great. I say wear the shorts for a long, long time! I have always had a bigger middle even when I was in my 20's and weighed 116 lbs. I still wear shorts to the store and ball fields and I am 46 yrs old. But will wear longer ones if at a different type event. I love the longer top you paired with them.

Anonymous said...

you look good - and they don't look too short - especially since your top is modest, it balances it out. :)

Becky said...

Those aren't too short at all! I like the long top with short shorts look.

I am doing the bermuda length these days.