Friday, June 19, 2009

Miscommunication

Sometimes I think my household is the breeding ground for all miscommunication, even though I know it just comes with the marriage territory. It's so easy for things to get taken the wrong way and someone gets offended and I will be honest, it's usually me. It even happened at dinner tonight. I asked J to put Z's eye patch on him because he wouldn't wear it this morning.

What should have been a simple request ended with a screaming toddler flinging mashed potatoes across the table. Z just would not cooperate. J was frustrated and said "this was a bad idea" so then I broke down saying "Oh so this is my fault now?" It was just a tense situation all the way around.

I will never forget when J's High School reunion was coming up and he didn't want to go because he said he had "nothing to show for himself." Boy that made me feel great... not really.

Or sometimes even when J is trying to be a sweet and considerate husband things can still go berzerk. For example, one time J was at a conference out of town, and he brought back a nice bottle of perfume for me. I was so touched, just that he thought of me, and what woman doesn't love surprises? I was ready to shower him with hugs and kisses when all the romance abruptly ended with the words "and I want you to wear this EVERY day"

Gasp! He must think I stink. I can't believe he bought me this perfume because he hates the way I smell! I started to tear up a little bit and he asked me what was wrong. I shared my feelings and he explained what he really meant was that I should indulge and splurge with this new fragrance. He knows how frugal I am and I guess he thought I would feel bad about using too much. What a relief to know I didn't stink after all.

So maybe men do have a funny way of saying things, but sometimes women have a funny way of hearing them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got that right sista.
N.L.W.

Lexi said...

Oh so true, so true.

Michele R said...

So true. I can relate.