Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Golden Birthday

I used to HATE having a summer birthday because while other kids could celebrate by bringing cup cakes to class, or wearing a big pin that said it was their birthday and getting special treats, I got to celebrate while all my friends were on vacation. Then in middle school and high school if it was your birthday you would find your locker decorated with all kinds of special birthday wishes, but not me. I never had my locker decorated and I resented it.

Well today made up for all of that. My husband got me a box of chocolates to complete my 27 chocolates in 27 days. Although, to be honest I had a couple bites and put in the freezer because it turns out that even I can get chocolate overload. Then all throughout the day I had people texting, calling, leaving messages, and writing on my face book wall to wish me well on this day. I have never had my birthday acknowledged to the extent that it was today. It was like having a hallway full of lockers decked out just for me!

That's not the best part though. The biggest surprise of all came from Z. I was getting him ready to go to the sitter so that I could go to work and I was running around like crazy as usual. After the sitter came to pick him up I started to focus on getting myself ready when I noticed the present he left me. It was a turd in his baby potty! I couldn't believe it. We are starting to potty train, but it hasn't been all that successful so I was amazed to find that he had gone poo poo in the potty and I never even knew about it! I wish I did because I would have showered him with stickers and m&m's and danced around singing his praises.

So in the end I had a good golden birthday even with being at work on my feet in high heels for most of the day. I've eaten more chocolate than I could ever wish for, I feel blessed and encouraged by the words of loved ones near and far, and who would have thought that my favorite birthday surprise would be a little piece of crap.

4 comments:

Erin Myers said...

Wow! Potty training! lol Gabe was 4 and we had to bribe Him with M&Ms! Congrats! ^_^
and Im glad you had a happy birthday!

Lauren said...

hahaha! I love the ending. So cute! I'm glad you had a great birthday :)

{amy} said...

Zion's present is so exciting!! Yay! I, too, have a summer birthday ~ so I completely understand how you felt in school! One January morning during my 8th grade year, though, I got a mysterious phone call saying, "Happy pretend birthday, Amy!" Several of my friends had conspired to surprise me with balloons & posters all over the walls at school! My ONE school birthday was awesome!

Becky said...

Happy Birthday! And congratulations to Z! :)