Monday, June 15, 2009

Men Say The Darndest Things

I am a little too young to remember the show "Kids Say The Darndest Things", but I have seen clips from it and it is pretty funny. I wouldn't just stop with the kids though, I think men have a way of saying some of the darndest things too. It isn't as cute when they do it and sometimes it's just plain offensive. However over the course of my 10 year relationship with my husband I have learned to try and interpret what he meant to say, and cut him a little slack when he sticks his foot in his mouth. For example I wasn't too encouraged when he told me that "my body would have really been appreciated back in the 1800's", but I am sure he meant it as a compliment.

Another time, I was photographing a wedding and there were a lot of people there I hadn't seen in a long time. I was at that in between stage of my pregnancy and I felt really frumpy and bad about how I looked. I turned to my hubby for a little boost of confidence but instead of hearing that I looked adorable or that I had nothing to worry about he told me "it's okay, you are working, everyone knows that." Our bed was very cold that night.

I am sure you have some stories yourself of your spouse or someone you know. I want to hear all about them. Feel free to comment or send me an email- themessymom@gmail.com. Any story having to do with a man saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. It's not intended to be a male bashing festival, just an opportunity to make light of these moments and laugh together. Can't wait to hear from you!

1 comment:

Michele R said...

Hey, why not a male-bashing party? Mine is not the best at complimentary comments. He is more of a doer. You know the fashion show you had for us readers? I stopped modeling outfits for the hubs years ago, as he would not say what I wanted him to say.