Monday, June 22, 2009

Look Back and Laugh: Vegan chocolate



As I mentioned yesterday, I wanted my 27 Chocolates to be unique and memorable so a couple weeks ago we met up with some friends that were in town from Michigan and we went to a Vegan Diner for coffee and dessert. Although I am not a vegan I really liked the vibe this place had going. All the customers and employees seemed like real free spirited earthy individuals. As someone who does things like home birth, delayed vaccines, and purchasing anything and everything previously owned I think that I could be classified as weird. So I felt some form of camaraderie there, like the vegans and I could all be weird together, and just agree to disagree on the animal product thing.

While at the diner, I referred to the person who seated us as a "he" and my friend argued that "he" was actually a "she". I looked again. Maybe I had just assumed that the shaved head meant that he was a man, but the lack of makeup and some gender neutral clothing had me thinking that my assumption was right. We debated the matter under our breaths while I tried to do a little discreet investigation. While this employee was serving up some agave drinks to a nearby table I got a graphic view of the armpit hair. Not just stubble, but full blown hairy pits, which to me solidified that this person was a male.

However, my friend argued with me that "her" features were far to feminine and that some girls don't shave their pits. My thinking was "why would you bother to SHAVE YOUR ENTIRE HEAD and then just feel like the arm pits were too much?"

I tried not to let it ruin my appetite and continued eating my vegan brownie espresso sundae. Just before we were ready to leave the employee in question took "her" apron off and the form fitting tank top beneath revealed that unless this person had plastic surgery she was a female! A slender somewhat small chested female that shaves her head, but not her pits. This vegan chocolate experience was certainly a memorable one and I left the diner thinking that maybe I am not as weird as I thought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL
N.L.W.

Lexi said...

Yucky and funny at the same time!

Erin Myers said...

I've had a similar experience. I think my appetite would have been gone though :/