Monday, August 17, 2009

Hospitality

In the past 9 years of our marriage we have had very few overnight house guests other than my parents. For the first few years we lived in a teeny tiny one bedroom apartment. Now we have a house, but it is still a work in progress and not the most favorable circumstances for company. This is why we were a bit of a state of shock to have had ELEVEN different people stay at our house over the past two weeks.

This wasn't planned in advance... AT ALL, but luckily they didn't come all at together or all at once. It was 4 different sets of friends and family and although their were some crazy moments along the way it was a welcome challenge, and a great opportunity to flex my domestic muscles. I scrubbed the bath tub with passion. I scrabbled to find enough sheets and pillows for everyone. I cooked for 6 people rather than our usual two and a half and I tried to put my most hospitable foot forward.

It's been a pretty full house up until this morning. My mom was the last one to leave and she flew back to Kentucky at 7:00 am. It feels like an empty nest compared to what it has been like the past couple weeks. Now I guess it's time to get back to life as usual, whatever that means.


No comments: