Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Look Back and Laugh: Jon Stewart


This isn't really a "look back and laugh" story, which is where every Tuesday I share a funny or embarrassing moment from the past. However, since I am talking about the news this week I thought I would highlight some of the more comedic sides of journalism. I think news/politics in general have become such a BIG part of our culture, that eventually SNL's weekend update wasn't enough and someone had to come along and point out with even greater sarcasm just how ridiculous the news media can be at times, and that is where Jon Stewart comes in.

My oldest brother has been on an Arrested Development kick lately and keeps calling me to reminisce about old episodes.

I guess he just wants someone to laugh with which is fine since I am an Arrested Development fan, but the show hasn't been on in years, so I asked him what the deal was and he said he found out he can watch each episode on Hulu.com. I related because my Hulu guilty pleasure is The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. My brother was shocked that I would watch that show and warned me not to tell our parents. "Why?" I asked, "Because it's liberal or crude?"

That being said, I don't condone a lot of the content on the Daily show, and honestly I have only seen a handful of episodes, and with my recent TV fast I hadn't watched any at all. What I can tell you though is while I may not be a Jon Stewart lover the episodes that I have seen of The Daily Show crack me up, and have given me a lot of insight to how much the media can blow things out of proportion. I think the whole point of the show is that not EVERYTHING has to be a crisis and sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves, which I think I have become kind of good at.

No comments: