Monday, August 3, 2009

The News

When the television signal switched to digital back in June I decided to start fasting TV. It's been easier and more rewarding than I ever thought. However sometimes I do feel just a little out of touch with what is going on in the world. Usually I find out about newsworthy events by peoples Facebook comments. That is how I heard about all the celebrity deaths that we have had recently, as well as the controversial arrest of Henry Louis Garrett, and even the universal health care ordeal.

A couple nights ago when we were at a coffee shop I caught a glimpse of the news that was playing on a TV in the corner, but the audio wasn't on. It looked like they were showing clips of a family and their beloved Shitzu who was now missing. The headline for the segment was "A Family's Loss". The thing that made me curious about the story was why it was on the news! People loose dogs all the time and they aren't on the news. Heck, sometimes people loose children and it's never on the news. Then they showed the image of the missing dog sign which read "reward $2,000 no questions asked." Oh, so maybe that's what makes little lost Foo Foo so interesting, she is worth a couple grand. I guess those people really loved their dog, although I am not so sure the feeling is mutual considering the dog is gone.

So I started thinking maybe I do need to check in and see what is going on in my community, or country, or the world. This week I am going to make it my mission to find out what is on the news.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me the news never really change. It's the same thing over and over again.
N.L.W.