Wednesday, August 5, 2009

News Reports And Prayer Requests

We hear stories all the time that don't effect us and don't seem real to us until the story becomes a part of our life. The truth is, I have done a crummy job at catching up on the news this week. I hadn't really watched any at all, but yesterday my dad called with a weather related story that involved my family.

Louisville Kentucky received record breaking rain yesterday. Over 6 inches fell in just one hour causing severe flash flooding. Luckily there were no deaths or severe injuries although the list of damages goes on and on!

There have been a reported 20,000 people without electricity and 700 power lines down.

The lower level of the Louisville Library is under water causing an estimated 1 million dollars of damage.


The Kentucky Derby Museum was hit and historical memorabilia quickly became submerged in the floods.

Emergancy workers rescued nearly 200 people from the tops of cars and houses as the waters rose too quickly for them to escape.

Animals were evacuated from the local shelter where some kittens and dog had drowned.

I would be the first one to browse over these statics and say "oh my, that's a lot of rain" and move on. However, in this case my mom was working at the Louisville airport with her car in the lower level of the parking garage. When she went out to check on it the lot was already closed off. It was too dangerous to allow people to enter. Cars were floating around hitting each other. This happened the week after they had found out that the transmission was out on their other car. My dad was working out of town so my mom stayed at a hotel last night and went back into work today. Of course tensions are high as many peoples flights have been delayed or canceled and my mom said that on two different occasions customers drove her to tears. People can be so cruel, they have to take their frustrations out on someone so they go off on a ticketing agent, when not only is it out of her control, but she just lost her only vehicle, never even got to go home, and then put on happy face to go back to serving customers in the morning!

Please prayer for my parents. There is always insurance, but the car is old and not worth anything. It was towed off today and I should have more details tomorrow.



photo from USA Today

1 comment:

Lexi said...

I will definitely pray for them! I had no idea any of this was happening -- mostly because I do not watch the news either...

How are you feeling?