Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Dream Notebooks

"We grow great by dreams. All big men are dreamers. They see things in the soft haze of a spring day or in the red fire of a long winter's evening. Some of us let these great dreams die, but others nourish and protect them; nurse them through bad days till they bring them to the sunshine and light which comes always to those who sincerely hope that their dreams will come true."

- Woodrow Wilson

A few days ago I wrote about crying while watching the animated film UP. I just love the part where the Carl is looking through Ellie's book of "Stuff I'm Going To Do".

I have my own books about "stuff I'm going to do" which I began back when I was a teenager.
I have had a notebook for my wedding plans, birth plans, home renovation plans, vacations and more. These are not just 3 ring binders, or organizers. They are dream books. Each one is chock-full of magazine clippings, drawings, notes, print outs etc. You name it, it's crammed in there.
They are my unbridled thoughts and plans for the things that I dream about. My parents read a book called Dream High by Conway Stone. The author recommends having a vision book in which he describes a notebook that my parents identified as the same kind of notebook that I have been creating for all these years.
Lately, I have had to pull out the wedding notebook again. I have always dreamt of renewing our vows and we are going to do it this year for our tenth anniversary so I have been adding to this dream book as I plan this simple, but much anticipated occasion.

Not only do these notebooks serve as a way for me to get my thoughts on paper and help keep my planning in order, but they are also great mementos and allow me to look back and say "Wow! I did it. This dream really became a reality" I think the reason I love the movie Up is because it is all about dreaming and following your dreams to the end of the earth if necessary. Even if they don't go exactly as planned you enjoy the journey. Never stop dreaming.




Dream books seem to have worked for me, for more WFMW posts got to We Are That Family.

4 comments:

Katie @ Mama the Reader said...

Such a great idea! I love having a place with all your compiled inspirations.

Mom2fur said...

I keep track of 'things to do' in notebooks, too. But mine aren't as cool as yours. I just use little notepads. I think I'll have to start saving pics and photos, too. They can be very inspiring!

{amy} said...

We are so alike! I have a wedding & house notebook, complete with dividers & everything! They aren't as cute as yours, though! I cry when I watch UP, too!

{RYC the other day, I think it's hilarious that we have both said similar things about showering/bathing!}

Ammie @ Domesticallyobsessed.com said...

I have an "idea" notebook I am thinking about sharing with the world. I think it's such a great tool to write down hopes, dreams,goals, snippets of magazines, quotes. Keeps you inspired, no?

ps-have not seen "Up" yet, but maybe now I will...