Monday, February 16, 2009

Boot Scootin' Boogie

This past Valentine’s day was a little different for me. I was scheduled to photograph a wedding that was being held way out in the country. Country would be a good description of the event, because it was authentically Texan through and through. The reception was in a barn that was transformed into their own private banquet hall, lit with white lights that illuminated the rafters. In the corner there were some rocking chairs labeled for designated family members. The grooms cake was a duck theme, representing the grooms love for the bird, or more so, his love for shooting them. The beer was flowing and the party was really getting going as the DJ played the Boot Scootin' Boogie and everyone got down with the two step.

Later in the evening I inquired about the ladies room and was directed to a set of port a potties labeled "Brides" and "Grooms." The brides stall was occupied, and I was told that it really didn't make any difference which one I used, so I braved the mens! I wished I hadn't.

It wasn't the most romantic February 14th, since I hardly saw my husband all day, but we made up for it today with a special outing. It was just the basic dinner and a movie, but a rare and much needed treat for us.

We saw New in Town.

A film about a high class, corporate executive, from Miami who is transferred to a small town in the Minnesota where she finds herself in the middle of a culture clash. I thought it was a really cute film. I am sure when the DVD comes out it will say "The Messy Mom gives it 2 thumbs up".

I am continually fascinated by the diversity of America, from Florida to Minnesota and all the other 48 states. Being at that wedding on Saturday reminded me even more so about all the different types of people, cultures, and customs there are outside of my own little bubble. That is what brings me to this weeks topic: Lifestyles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait. this will be good. (lifestyles)