Saturday, February 7, 2009

Dr. Mom

This week I have talked a lot about being Dr. Mom to your family. For me this has recently entailed choosing the right health care provider, cleaning up puke, and having to use eye patches and glasses for my son’s newly discovered vision problems. It’s been very tiring.

Taking care of the health and well being of your children is no easy task. Having a sick kid often involves, late nights, horrible smells, and putting your already backed up schedule on hold. Let’s be honest though, that’s not even the hard part. The hard part is seeing the little one that you love so much having to suffer. It’s watching the one that normally wears you out with energy levels that are through the roof suddenly become feverish and lethargic as they curl up in your arms. No one looks forward to caring for an ailing child.

That’s what we do though; we are there for our kids through thick and thin. Even when we can’t make it all better, or we don’t know how they feel. Sometimes in those moments all you can do is love and nurture. That is difference between a superficial love that is shallow and fleeting and a true bond that runs deep like the love between mother and child. It’s loving and caring even when it breaks your heart.

It breaks my heart to wrestle with my son everyday in order to bandage up his good eye and tape it shut leaving it in complete darkness, but I will continue to do it as long as have to in order for him to be completely whole.

Just like it breaks a mother’s heart to hold her child while they get a shot, or rub alcohol over an infected wound. It’s not the highlight of our job, but we do it because we want what is best for them. It’s hard work being “Dr. Mom” and unlike a real doctor you’ll never see a dime for the time you put in, but one thing is for sure, it does offer some great benefits.

3 comments:

Lawyer Mom said...

Hi, Messy Mom. I just found your blog by checking Becky's new blogroll at Suburban Matron.

Hope I won't sound too "advicey" but my sister's little girl had strabismus (and maybe ambliopia?) -- eyes wouldn't track. She wore a patch. In all of this, we discovered a new method for "patching" the good eye: eye drops that make the "good eye" not see so that the "bad" eye will start having to work. Actual patches aren't necessary. Something to look into, maybe . . . ?

Hang in there.

Michele R said...

Hi there,
Just found you through Suburban Matron's new blogroll. I also have a son who has had to wear an eye patch due to Amblyopia—your son looks to be very young and that is fantastic. I wanted to tell you it really will work for him! I feel kinda bad because my son is in second grade and right before Kindergarten we found out he has terrible vision. What a bad mom was I who found out at age 5, ALMOST age 6. Maybe it is because he is my third son….so busy….. So he got glasses and we found a co. on Ebay that makes little fleece patches to fit over the glasses. Which was a rip off because I could have made that myself. We make him wear it for about an hour watching TV or playing video games. I hear that it’s good when doing puzzles too. He just had a check up over 2 years later. It helped TREMENDOUSLY even though we did not patch every day as we were told. The vision is much better in his poorer eye. And I have been able to tell that his eye looks much better. Doc told him to wear the glasses all the time (sometimes we get lazy on weekends) because otherwise the patch time will just make up for the time he didn’t wear his glasses. Other than that comment the patch therapy has been very successful and my son is very proud of himself. We just ordered Sports glasses and he is psyched.
Anyway, it is nice to “meet” you. I just started my blog about 10 days ago and I haven't gotten too personal yet and I am still learning the ropes. I live in Atlanta area, am married, work outside the home and have 3 sons ages 12, 11 and 8. I just read a little more about you and see you are a homebirth baby and had your son in a birth center with midwives. That is a passion of mine as I had a goddess for a midwife in hospital with sons 1 and 2 and a homebirth with #3. Texas is a friendly state for birth centers and midwives—not so much in GA. Sorry so long!!
--Michele

Zion said...

Thank you for all of the support. It is so great to hear success stories. Things have actually been going pretty well with the patches/glasses here lately. We have an appointment in a month. I am going to ask about the drops.