Friday, February 20, 2009

Froogie Boogie: Debt Free Lifestyle

I talked a couple days ago about subculture which varies only slightly from counterculture. Counterculture is a culture with lifestyles and values opposed to those of the established culture.

The reason I am bringing this up in the froogie boogie segment is because being frugal and living within and not beyond your means is the opposite of what the rest of our society is telling us to do.

I grew up in a home that was not the ultimate example of money management. My parents did the best they could, but things were tight, bills were piling up, the collectors were calling, and our water and electric were some times turned off when things didn't get paid. They were enslaved to debt. It’s amazing to think that this is the same couple that are now the biggest Financial Peace advocates I know.

Financial Peace University is a program that teaches you how to make the right decisions with your money. You can go to DaveRamsey.com for all the details.

This program changed my parent’s lives. Since going through the teaching 7 years ago they have made a complete 180 in the way they handle money. Because of their success they have also become FPU instructors and now help other people that are struggling with their finances.

My parents are now living completely debt free with emergency money available for when “things happen”. Before they turned 50 they were able to purchase a home and two cars without having a mortgage, car payments, or credit cards. Their lifestyle is countercultural to that of our society and it is not because they are wealthy, it is because they have made a choice. I on the other hand have a lot of work to do in the way of debt free living, so I am preaching to myself here, but I wanted to share their little testimony as encouragement to anyone wondering if it can be done. Because there is an alternative, it is obtainable, and it can change your life.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Neat! I always hear great things about the FPU. We are debt-free (except for a mortgage), and when I hear about people who bought a house without a mortgage, I am like, wow. I mean, wow! I don't think that I could do it.