Saturday, February 28, 2009

Girl Friends

This week I have talked about some of my favorite memories with some of my favorite girls (SOME of). I talked about silly games and spa days with friends from my early twenties.

Then I shared stories of lipsticking cars with some of my High School buddies.

I also talked about my best friend who kept me out of trouble when we were kids.


I don't see these friends too often since our lives have taken us in different directions, but we haven't lost touch and they will always be my girls.

At the last ladies meeting I went to at my church they had a jar full of candy and each person wrote down their best guess for the amount in the jar. I just randomly picked 600 and there were 598 pieces! I won a Starbuck's gift card and was instructed to take out one of my girlfriends for coffee. The person sitting next to me hinted that I should take her. I knew she was joking, but I was planning on taking her anyway.

She is very dear to me, especially since she married my best "guy friend" from High School. I was a bridesmaid in their wedding and I was there when their daughter was born. She was there when I needed a ride to the pharmacy to pick up what turned out being a POSITIVE pregnancy test. She loaned me all her maternity clothes and I returned them shortly after that when she found out SHE had a positive pregnancy test with a due date exactly 7 weeks after mine. We both had boys, they were both born 5 days before their due dates. I know that no matter where we end up 10, 15, or 20 years down the road we will be life long friends.

Every woman, with exception of maybe Emily Dickinson, needs her girlfriends; someone to be silly with, a partner in crime, or someone to keep you out of crime, a friend that you can count on to share her honest opinion and her dessert. A good group of friends is a priceless treasure.

Maybe there is someone you haven't talked to in a while, or you just haven't felt like you've had time for friends. It won't happen unless you make it happen. Pick up the phone, write an email, set a date. That's my challenge for you this week, it doesn't have to be anything major, it just takes a little bit of time, girl time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. I hope I lesson to your advice. For some reason I'm crying now. Girl friends are special aren't they.
N.L.W.

Hannah said...

those are endearing words - thank you for being MY friend!
i love you so much - thanks for your faithfulness and love these last 6 + years. :)

Hannah said...

p.s. it was gracious for you to say that i "hinted" for you to take me to starbucks... i think my exact words were, "oh, take me!". ;)