Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Look Back and Laugh: buy us a pool

This week I am talking about money. We all have to come to the realization at some point in life that things cost money and money isn't that easy to come by, or in the words of our parents "money doesn't grow on trees". When I was 7, my best friend and I, who lived next door to each other, desperately wanted a swimming pool. We tried to think up a way to make our dream a reality. Our first idea was to use the power of entertainment to convince our parents that this would be a worthwhile purchase. So we wrote a song to woo our fathers. It went something like this

"Daddy, Daddy, Daddy. Will you buy us a pool? We'll clean it for you every day and you'll have mommy to yourself"

This is truly a look back and laugh moment for me. We knew what dad wanted most and that was to have mom to himself. Anyway, though it may be hard to believe, we did not win them over with song. So we decided to take matters into our own hands and save up the money ourselves. We looked for loose change beneath seat cushions, we sold rocks, anything we could think of to get this pool. We collected all of our earnings in an old tupperware container and by the end of the summer I think we might have had $8.00 which if I remember correctly paid the admission for us to get into a local water park for a day. We still had a fun summer none the less. I will say though, that when I was 15 and moved to Dallas my parents bought a house with a nice underground pool, so in a way I think the song did pay off.

No comments: