Saturday, April 18, 2009

Money isn't everything.

Everything I talked about this week involved money in one way or another. From the obsessive saver to the compulsive spender, all of us have a relationship with money.

The other day I was at Sonic. For those of you that aren't familiar with the chain it is a fast food restaurant that is laid out like an old drive in and car hops deliver your food to you. All I ordered was 99 cents Frito wrap and I had exact change, but the car hops do accept tips. As I wait for my food I am contemplating whether to give her a tip or not. I only ordered one thing, it takes no time at all to bring out. If I were to calculate gratuity it would be an 18 cent tip. If I give her two dollars then that is giving a tip that is worth 100% of my bill. I am going back and forth on the issue of whether or not the car hop deserves it, would even appreciate it, and if I can afford it. As I am engaging myself in this mental dialogue I realize how much time I have spent contemplating whether or not to give some one 92 cents! Is that really what it comes to?

I think I have been in an abusive relationship where I have let money control me and I have had it! If money wants to hang out I am cool with that, if money doesn't have time for me, I don't care. You won't find me waiting by the phone for cash to call, or constantly checking my face book to see if mula has any new posts.

I only use this silly analogy to say that although we do need to use wisdom and be good stewards of our resources we also need to realize that money isn't everything. I know sometimes for me personally it can be so consuming. The quote that has come to my mind in talking about taxes, the recession, and finances this week has been "hold everything loosely" and you know what? I gave that girl the stinkin' 92 cents, I just wish it wouldn't have taken me so long.



For those of you justifying whether or not you should tip at Sonic, rest assured, that is not what this is about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that quote. It fits so many situations. I can see on this one the apple doesn't fall far from the tree :)
N.L.W.